The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By williamhj

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2012, 07:32 AM

cthomas2 will become famous soon enough
Default Vintage Orvis Powerhouse 8wt. Is it really only 2 7/8 oz?

I have been using my old orvis rods and love them. The powerhouse for example is marked as just under 3 oz on the butt of the rod yet it doesn't feel lighter to me than a modern 8 reddington that is listed at 4.3 oz. did they use a different method in years past to determine the weight?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Old 09-25-2012, 10:02 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Vintage Orvis Powerhouse 8wt. Is it really only 2 7/8 oz?

Just the unfinished blank vs a finished rod?
Old 09-25-2012, 10:30 AM

imxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of light

A small postal scale will answer your question. If you read the "grams" scale
and convert to ounces you should get a more accurate weight. Let us know what you come up with.

Nature, Cheaper than Therapy

LIVE TODAY
Old 09-25-2012, 01:38 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

I think Fred is right, I think the weight given is without the hardware.

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 09-25-2012, 05:56 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Seems odd to put the weight of the blank on the butt of the rod, which I'm guessing is the butt of the reel seat of the finished rod. Perhaps that's how they did it, but doesn't make much sense since the rod was finished. Will be interesting to hear the actual weight.
imxer likes this.
Old 09-25-2012, 10:56 PM

cthomas2 will become famous soon enough

Ok. I weighed the 7,8 and 9 wt orvis graphite rods. They are all very close to the marked weight. I guess they are lighter because they are shorter than modern rods

Shooting star 9 wt is 9' and 4.25 oz
Powerhouse 8 wt is 8' 6" and 2.875 oz
All rounder 7 wt is 8'3" and 2.5 oz

Check out the chart in this article. None of these rods are even within 1/2 oz of the 8wt

http://yellowstoneangler.com/FlyRodC...sNativeRun.asp

Last edited by cthomas2; 09-25-2012 at 11:12 PM.
Old 09-26-2012, 06:30 AM

fishiowa has a spectacular aura aboutfishiowa has a spectacular aura aboutfishiowa has a spectacular aura about

I don't think the weights are exclusive of hardware. For example, far & fine with cork spacer is listed about 1/2 ounce lighter than the same rod with wood spacer. As to the accuracy of the listed weight I don't know because its too early and I'm too lazy to go weigh one :-)
Rich