The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By cletus

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2012, 05:56 PM

r reese is just really nicer reese is just really nicer reese is just really nicer reese is just really nicer reese is just really nice
Default Winston Boron llt new rod?

Just purchased a winston WT and a boron llt in 7 1/2 ft 3 wt. I like the boron llt better. what are your thoughts? Have not fished them but lots of casting with leaders and the boron feels and casts a lot better for me. Personal opinion but that is what seemed best for me. would like your thoughts if you have fished or cast these rods. thanks
Old 09-26-2012, 11:07 PM

cletus will become famous soon enoughcletus will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Winston Boron llt new rod?

I have the 480 4 wt BIIT, what many consider a 4 piece TMF. Great rod, smooth but with more power than I first thought it had. I really like the 480, haven't cast the 376 3wt, but have heard good things about it. You can also check out Winston's forum (winstonrods.com) for more info.
Old 10-01-2012, 08:50 AM

delopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the rough
Smile Re: Winston Boron llt new rod?

I'm getting ready to pickup the 7'6 4wt. I'm excited. I'm purchasing it for the small spring creeks that I fish and some of the smaller tailwaters off of the white river that I fish... I'm pumped. Is this rod as smooth as everyone says that it is?
Old 10-01-2012, 01:11 PM

cletus will become famous soon enoughcletus will become famous soon enough

I have the 476 4wt WT. Great rod for small spring creeks. I lawn cast the 476 BIIT 4wt, smooth casting rod. I would say it's probably a toss-up between these two rods. If it makes a difference, the WT is a 3 piece rod, the BIIT is a 4 piece. Good luck!
delopez likes this.
Old 10-01-2012, 01:50 PM

delopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the rough

Thanks cletus! Now I'm extra pumped. It's nice to know that the rod that I'm purchasing is serving its intended purpose... I have to duck and trees and overhang to cast, not to mention presentation (I was using a 7wt and that isn't good on presentiation...). It was a toss up for me on the two, also. I went with the boron because of it's strength (or proposed strength, considering I don't know how true that actually is) because there is the occasional 20"+ fish in the stream. Super stoked!
Old 10-02-2012, 06:06 AM

fishiowa has a spectacular aura aboutfishiowa has a spectacular aura aboutfishiowa has a spectacular aura about

I have 8'6" 4 weights in both WT and BiiT. I find myself grabbing the BiiT much more often.
Rich
Old 10-02-2012, 10:21 AM

Hey fishiowa,

I noticed the Iowa in your name, so I'm assuming that you live in IA. Where do you fish there? I go up there once a month to clear lake area... I fish the St. Asgar and Orchard streams...
Old 10-03-2012, 07:39 PM

fishiowa has a spectacular aura aboutfishiowa has a spectacular aura aboutfishiowa has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by delopez View Post
Hey fishiowa,

I noticed the Iowa in your name, so I'm assuming that you live in IA. Where do you fish there? I go up there once a month to clear lake area... I fish the St. Asgar and Orchard streams...
I live in Dubuque, southern edge of the driftless area. I travel around northeast Iowa for work so I try to fish all the Iowa streams and cross the river to Wisconsin whenever I can. I have fished spring but not turtle.

Which direction are you traveling from? An hour or so east from there and you could be in some really good water. PM if you'd like some ideas.
Rich
Old 10-03-2012, 08:35 PM

PMed! I go that route when I head to Madison for business. There's a stream up there, Black earth creek, that I haven't fished yet. However, I hear good things... Then again, it's Wisconsin. There are a ton of fantastic fishing waters, there...