Fiberglass rod questions (pic)

Noiso

Reaction score
I am geeking out on vintage gear of late. I'd seriously like to pick up an old glass rod with a period reel. I have much research to do and any suggestions on resources for info would be appreciated greatly - Books? Web sites?

I found this rod on craigslist - it says AFTMA fly line no. 7. Does this mean 7w line is recommended for this rod? If not, how do I tell what size reel/line should go with the rod?

Do you have any favorite glass rod brands to recommend - cool stuff to look for, problems/damage I might overlook when examining potential buys?

Thanks in advance!!!!!!

Rip Tide

Reaction score
Yup, a 7wt
But.:D.. I have a similar FF857 and I like mine with a 6wt line

Phillipson and Fenwick are probably the 2 most sought after brands of vintage glass rods but there's a number of other good brands too.
I like my Wright& McGills and my Berkly. My Garcia/Conolons....not so much
The Shakespeare Wonderrods are popular because there's so many of them out there. But not all are created equal.

Noiso

Reaction score
`
Thanks JP,

guess you don't want to spend much money...
Your guess is correct sir. I have been reading a great book called,"Classic & Antique Fly Fishing Tackle," that has me in an antique mood when I can only afford (barely) vintage. From what I've read, I believe I will enjoy the slow action of a glass rod though.

Thanks again,

Rip Tide

Reaction score
I have around 10 vintage glass rods but the only ones that I use with any regularity are my Phillipson 6wt, the Orvis 8wt ( Phillipson blank) a Wright & McGill 6.5' 4wt, and my Lamiglass 7.5' 4wt.
My father built the Lamiglass for me 40 years ago and they still make and sell the same blank if you'd like to build one yourself. They have a very slow action, but once you get the hang of it, you'll find it relaxing to cast.... just like fly fishing was meant to be. :D

---------- Post added at 12:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:15 AM ----------

Oh, and the Cabela's glass rods are on sale if you're interested in factory new.
60 bucks, and come with a very good reputation

pete a

Reaction score
Very nice! The plaid reel socks just seem to bring together. For a reel since this is a US made rod I'd suggest the Pflueger Medalist 1495, you can get these on Ebay $30-45 in great shape. Make a fine set classic set up.

Not so expensive but have a homely nice feel are the older Eagle Claw's. The shorter ones to me are more fun.

I have a 8'-6" 8wt Orvis Fullflex coming, probably paid too much but oh well. I have the big brother 9wt so had an imaginary gap (so now have a gap for 7wt, 6wt,...............). Will post some pics when it arrives.

Pete A.

theboz

Reaction score
I have that model and a few others . Brown glass Fenwicks were my main sticks back in the 70s . Still use them today . You should enjoy that rod. Don't be afraid to go to the next line up they really load with a heavier line. Lotta fun!