The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2012, 06:24 AM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future
Default Re: Kabuto 7'0 3 wt in action

Quote:
Originally Posted by swirlchaser View Post
Someone stop this train for a second. When did fiberglass rods pick up a $600+ price tag?
They're all from custom builders. Even the Scott F2 is made to order.
Matt Leiderman, Tom Morgan, Larry Kenney, Kabuto, Mario Wojniki, T&T and others. Doesn't mean you have to get one. Most have blanks for sale. Again, they're mostly custom rolled blanks and you're paying for a rod to your specs.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 09-30-2012, 11:15 AM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo View Post
They're all from custom builders. Even the Scott F2 is made to order.
Matt Leiderman, Tom Morgan, Larry Kenney, Kabuto, Mario Wojniki, T&T and others. Doesn't mean you have to get one. Most have blanks for sale. Again, they're mostly custom rolled blanks and you're paying for a rod to your specs.
As a rod builder i understand the value of a one off build but $600 seems a bit excessive no? Fiberglass has been around a long time so I'm sure every possible taper has been rolled already. Personally i would start collecting old glass rods until i found the blank i wanted and then rebuild it myself and save a few hundred bucks.

Last edited by swirlchaser; 09-30-2012 at 11:31 AM.
Old 09-30-2012, 04:04 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Quote:
As a rod builder i understand the value of a one off build but $600 seems a bit excessive no? Fiberglass has been around a long time so I'm sure every possible taper has been rolled already. Personally i would start collecting old glass rods until i found the blank i wanted and then rebuild it myself and save a few hundred bucks.
I agree glass has been around a long time, but todays modern glass isn't the same as the old W&M, Shakespere, or even Lamiglass. It's lighter- (thinner walls), just as strong as the old ones, and they're not the noodle or semi- noodle rods of yesteryear. Being thinner and also different glass, new tapers are out there along with different actions.
Why shouldn't a custom builder get as much for a glass rod as they do for a graphite rod?
I also believe that top notch workmanship, attention to small details and exceptional parts should command a higher price.
littledavid123 likes this.
Old 09-30-2012, 04:23 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I agree glass has been around a long time, but todays modern glass isn't the same as the old W&M, Shakespere, or even Lamiglass. It's lighter- (thinner walls), just as strong as the old ones, and they're not the noodle or semi- noodle rods of yesteryear. Being thinner and also different glass, new tapers are out there along with different actions.
Why shouldn't a custom builder get as much for a glass rod as they do for a graphite rod?
I also believe that top notch workmanship, attention to small details and exceptional parts should command a higher price.
I've been building the wrong type of rods for years! I've build lamiglas graphite casting rods with Sic guides, custom cork and 6hr decorative butt wraps and still kept them in the $400's. I need to pick up some flyroding customers...
Old 09-30-2012, 05:10 PM

Quote:
I've been building the wrong type of rods for years! I've build lamiglas graphite casting rods with Sic guides, custom cork and 6hr decorative butt wraps and still kept them in the $400's. I need to pick up some flyroding customers...
$400 for a casting rod? Isn't that a little excessive?
Just kidding. Lets see some pics of your work. I'm not a big fan of butt wraps, but I admire and envy the guys that can do that type of weaving and wrapping.
Old 09-30-2012, 05:19 PM

Quote:
$400 for a casting rod? Isn't that a little excessive?
Just kidding. Lets see some pics of your work. I'm not a big fan of butt wraps, but I admire and envy the guys that can do that type of weaving and wrapping.
Lol, i asked for that one . I'm not near my rods now but i have a few posted in the rodbuilding threads.
Old 09-30-2012, 06:01 PM

irons is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Where can you get a Scott glass for 6 bills?
They start at $625
Been several years since i bought one. Oh well. Inflation sucks.
Still good rods though.
Old 09-30-2012, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irons View Post
Been several years since i bought one. Oh well. Inflation sucks.
Still good rods though.
The new ones are the F2 series. I have the 3 wt., 6 1/2'. One of the funnest and most deceiving rods that I have.
Sorry for the hijack......