The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2012, 07:07 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: is my rod breaking/defective? or is this normal? pics included

Well one more option is to give Orvis a call and see if they have an authorized repair place in your area (as Mojo noted). As this is obviously a 'defect in workmanship or materials' Orvis may be willing to send you a prepaid FedEx label. Cost nothing but a bit of time to make the call.
Old 09-30-2012, 08:31 AM

irons is on a distinguished road

Do not fix it yourself. Let orvis take care of the issue.
Old 09-30-2012, 01:32 PM

romanl is a glorious beacon of lightromanl is a glorious beacon of lightromanl is a glorious beacon of lightromanl is a glorious beacon of lightromanl is a glorious beacon of light

im not going to attempt to fix it myself,
i will take it to ORVIS and let them take care of this.
i might be w/out rod for few weeks, but thats ok, i got few busy weekends coming up, so i probably wont be able to fish anyways.

EDIT: just went for a quick ride to ORVIS store.
while there checked out their new Silver Sonic waders (very nice) i will be picking up a pair for sure.
does anyone know what kind of sales ORVIS has during black friday (day after thanksgiving?) ill be in Denver that day and they have a store there. so if its worth it, ill go
so i just went to the store, guy helping me was very nice, so thumbs up on customer service.
he took my rod and im suppose to call him in few days to see what they're going to do:
option A (most likely) he will mail it in to get it fixed, i didnt have to pay any shipping since i dropped it of at the store. and since rod is just 3 month old and clearly a defect, i also was not asked to pay $30 for 1 time fee whenever they do warranty fixes.
option B (slim chance, but would be cool) they might just replace it with a new rod, which would be awesome.

o and if it does get sent it for repair, and it takes few weeks to fix it, the guy at the store offered me to use some of their in store demo's, which i thought was great customer service. so very pumped on that, if i do go fishing in next few weeks i will have a rod no matter what.

Last edited by romanl; 09-30-2012 at 04:58 PM.
Old 09-30-2012, 06:47 PM

tennessee dave will become famous soon enoughtennessee dave will become famous soon enough

Can 't get better than that.
Old 09-30-2012, 10:19 PM

Noiso is just really niceNoiso is just really niceNoiso is just really niceNoiso is just really niceNoiso is just really nice

Orvis SF always offers a loaner rod or reel and takes care of the shipping if you bring it to the store. Great service.
"By the time I was a teenager I fit the standard profile of a lifelong angler. I was lazy, shiftless, unambitious and willing to work hard only at things that were widely considered useless." ~John Gierach
Old 09-30-2012, 11:12 PM

romanl is a glorious beacon of lightromanl is a glorious beacon of lightromanl is a glorious beacon of lightromanl is a glorious beacon of lightromanl is a glorious beacon of light

yep, thanks guys,
def good service on ORVIS part.
ill report back after i get my rod back.
Old 10-01-2012, 12:13 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hi Roman,

I've never shopped Orvis on the day after Thanksgiving but.....the shops usually have sales in February or March. You should ask your local guys if they have an annual sale and when.

Ard
romanl likes this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 10-02-2012, 10:57 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

Orvis is justifiably famed for their customer service, however, is it inappropriate for me to joke about making the rod lighter an less costly by using less adhesive?
Old 10-02-2012, 11:05 AM

^^ you can make jokes about making it lighter, its all good.

im guessing you skpped over my EDIT UPDATE
i dropped of rod at the store on Sunday, didnt have to pay anything,
the guy at the store told me if i do go fishing while my rod is out for repair , that they have backup rods in the store i can borrow (which is really good customer service if i ever seen one)
but honestly i do have busy next weekend of two coming up, so i might not be able to fish anyways.

haha, you must have EDITed your original post while i was replying to you
Old 10-02-2012, 01:08 PM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

Yes, as I saw your edit after I spell checked. I too have found Orvis shops as well as official customer service to be very helfull and consder this a hallmark of a quality fly fishing company. I wonder if they give you a loaner dog bed if your old pup has an accident? I am looking forward to casting one of their new Helios 2 rods, reports about totaly new tapers with improved lower end power and lighter tips are intriguing.