The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Fly Rods (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-rods/)
-   -   is my rod breaking/defective? or is this normal? pics included (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-rods/298091-my-rod-breaking-defective-normal-pics-included.html)

romanl 09-29-2012 06:29 PM

is my rod breaking/defective? or is this normal? pics included

10.16.12 UPDATE: THANK YOU ORVIS, got my new rod in the mail today just in time for this weeekend's trip. very happy and very impressed with their service.

hey guys
i went fishing today and noticed something on the handle of my rod that doesnt seem normal.
short backstory:
Orvis Clearwater 905-4 (love it, great rod so far)
purchased June 23rd 2012 (so just 3 month ago)
i try to get out fishing at least once a week, bur more realistically its every other weekend, so not that many days on the water.
i take pretty good care of my personal belongings, so rod was not abused in any way.

Problem: looks like the threaded part that you screw reel with into the handle is starting to come apart a bit from the rest of the handle.
while gap seems small if i press it together it disappears and rod looks normal.
but if i screw reel in or just slightly pull it, it then creates a gap/opening of about 1.5mm (big enough for me to see internal brown tube part thats inside the handle)
so i dont think this is normal,
is this common? thre's Orvis store in Pasadena (im in Long bach CA) so next time im up in that part of Los Angeles ill definitely stop in to have them take a look at it.
im not too concerned as thats the whole point of 25 year warranty, but i do wonder being its just barely 3 month old, would i still have to do the usual $30 1 time payment as is required with any warranty claim?
any advice?
thanks guys

mojo 09-29-2012 06:34 PM

Re: is my rod breaking/defective? or is this normal? pics included

Heat it up with a hair dryer or heat gun, pull it off. Clean up the dingleberries and epoxy it back on or use Zap-A-Gap.
Or send it back to Orvis and wait for it to come back.
It's happened to quiet a few rods of mine over the years. I just glue it back on.

tennessee dave 09-29-2012 06:49 PM

I'd send it to Orvis in a heartbeat.

Rip Tide 09-29-2012 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tennessee dave (Post 487237)
I'd send it to Orvis in a heartbeat.

it would cost more in gas to drive it to to post office (forget ship it or pay any fee) than it would to fix it yourself

romanl 09-29-2012 07:12 PM

thanks guys
the thing is, rod is 3 month old, so i dont think i should have to fix it myself.

ill try stopping by ORVIS store in LA when im in the area next time, and see what they say, who knows being how new the rod is maybe they'll take care of it right there and then :D:D
but if they tell me it needs to be fixed i will ship it to ORVIS to have it done professionally ,
i also wouldnt want to VOID warranty by trying to fix it myself, can warranty be VOID if one tries to fix it at home?

caseywise 09-29-2012 07:31 PM

buy some five minute epoxy, heat the seat section with a heat gun/hair dryer, then remove and sand both surfaces and epoxy back together.
2c

casey

tennessee dave 09-29-2012 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by romanl (Post 487241)
thanks guys
the thing is, rod is 3 month old, so i dont think i should have to fix it myself.

ill try stopping by ORVIS store in LA when im in the area next time, and see what they say, who knows being how new the rod is maybe they'll take care of it right there and then :D:D
but if they tell me it needs to be fixed i will ship it to ORVIS to have it done professionally ,
i also wouldnt want to VOID warranty by trying to fix it myself, can warranty be VOID if one tries to fix it at home?

I think you are smart not to repair yourself. 25 years is a long time.

Rip Tide 09-29-2012 09:13 PM

If you don't care to do it yourself, take it to a shop before you send it in.
My fishing partner is the "official" repair guy at a large urban tackle shop and is an "authorized" repair agent for a number of rod manufactures..
He does stuff like this and I'm sure other shops have similar guys.
It would cost you 5 times as much as if you did it yourself but you could save yourself some shipping cost and still have factory authorized work done even if you're not willing to do the simple repair yourself

romanl 09-29-2012 09:59 PM

^^^ thanks guys
yea ill take it to ORVIS store and will see what they say.

mojo 09-30-2012 06:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by romanl (Post 487241)
..............but if they tell me it needs to be fixed i will ship it to ORVIS to have it done professionally ,

So you can wait and go to LA, give it to the Orvis shop, they'll probably send it back for you for free. Now you're out a rod for a few weeks.
OR, like most of us have said, fix it yourself. It's not rocket science, it's gluing on a butt cap to a fly rod. How is it going to VOID your warranty? And suppose you break a section. You send it back to Orvis. Do you really think they'll know, or even care if you glued the cap back on? It's one less problem they had to deal with.
But it's your rod. Do what you want.