The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2012, 06:29 PM

romanl is a glorious beacon of lightromanl is a glorious beacon of lightromanl is a glorious beacon of lightromanl is a glorious beacon of lightromanl is a glorious beacon of light
Default is my rod breaking/defective? or is this normal? pics included

10.16.12 UPDATE: THANK YOU ORVIS, got my new rod in the mail today just in time for this weeekend's trip. very happy and very impressed with their service.

hey guys
i went fishing today and noticed something on the handle of my rod that doesnt seem normal.
short backstory:
Orvis Clearwater 905-4 (love it, great rod so far)
purchased June 23rd 2012 (so just 3 month ago)
i try to get out fishing at least once a week, bur more realistically its every other weekend, so not that many days on the water.
i take pretty good care of my personal belongings, so rod was not abused in any way.

Problem: looks like the threaded part that you screw reel with into the handle is starting to come apart a bit from the rest of the handle.
while gap seems small if i press it together it disappears and rod looks normal.
but if i screw reel in or just slightly pull it, it then creates a gap/opening of about 1.5mm (big enough for me to see internal brown tube part thats inside the handle)
so i dont think this is normal,
is this common? thre's Orvis store in Pasadena (im in Long bach CA) so next time im up in that part of Los Angeles ill definitely stop in to have them take a look at it.
im not too concerned as thats the whole point of 25 year warranty, but i do wonder being its just barely 3 month old, would i still have to do the usual $30 1 time payment as is required with any warranty claim?
any advice?
thanks guys

Last edited by romanl; 10-16-2012 at 12:26 PM.
Old 09-29-2012, 06:34 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future
Default Re: is my rod breaking/defective? or is this normal? pics included

Heat it up with a hair dryer or heat gun, pull it off. Clean up the dingleberries and epoxy it back on or use Zap-A-Gap.
Or send it back to Orvis and wait for it to come back.
It's happened to quiet a few rods of mine over the years. I just glue it back on.
mcnerney, Guest1, Rip Tide and 1 others like this.
Old 09-29-2012, 06:49 PM

tennessee dave will become famous soon enoughtennessee dave will become famous soon enough

I'd send it to Orvis in a heartbeat.
imxer likes this.
Old 09-29-2012, 07:09 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennessee dave View Post
I'd send it to Orvis in a heartbeat.
it would cost more in gas to drive it to to post office (forget ship it or pay any fee) than it would to fix it yourself
Old 09-29-2012, 07:12 PM

romanl is a glorious beacon of lightromanl is a glorious beacon of lightromanl is a glorious beacon of lightromanl is a glorious beacon of lightromanl is a glorious beacon of light

thanks guys
the thing is, rod is 3 month old, so i dont think i should have to fix it myself.

ill try stopping by ORVIS store in LA when im in the area next time, and see what they say, who knows being how new the rod is maybe they'll take care of it right there and then
but if they tell me it needs to be fixed i will ship it to ORVIS to have it done professionally ,
i also wouldnt want to VOID warranty by trying to fix it myself, can warranty be VOID if one tries to fix it at home?
Old 09-29-2012, 07:31 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

buy some five minute epoxy, heat the seat section with a heat gun/hair dryer, then remove and sand both surfaces and epoxy back together.
2c

casey

ARFE
Old 09-29-2012, 07:57 PM

tennessee dave will become famous soon enoughtennessee dave will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by romanl View Post
thanks guys
the thing is, rod is 3 month old, so i dont think i should have to fix it myself.

ill try stopping by ORVIS store in LA when im in the area next time, and see what they say, who knows being how new the rod is maybe they'll take care of it right there and then
but if they tell me it needs to be fixed i will ship it to ORVIS to have it done professionally ,
i also wouldnt want to VOID warranty by trying to fix it myself, can warranty be VOID if one tries to fix it at home?
I think you are smart not to repair yourself. 25 years is a long time.
Old 09-29-2012, 09:13 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

If you don't care to do it yourself, take it to a shop before you send it in.
My fishing partner is the "official" repair guy at a large urban tackle shop and is an "authorized" repair agent for a number of rod manufactures..
He does stuff like this and I'm sure other shops have similar guys.
It would cost you 5 times as much as if you did it yourself but you could save yourself some shipping cost and still have factory authorized work done even if you're not willing to do the simple repair yourself
fredaevans and williamhj like this.
Old 09-29-2012, 09:59 PM

^^^ thanks guys
yea ill take it to ORVIS store and will see what they say.
Old 09-30-2012, 06:04 AM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by romanl View Post
..............but if they tell me it needs to be fixed i will ship it to ORVIS to have it done professionally ,
So you can wait and go to LA, give it to the Orvis shop, they'll probably send it back for you for free. Now you're out a rod for a few weeks.
OR, like most of us have said, fix it yourself. It's not rocket science, it's gluing on a butt cap to a fly rod. How is it going to VOID your warranty? And suppose you break a section. You send it back to Orvis. Do you really think they'll know, or even care if you glued the cap back on? It's one less problem they had to deal with.
But it's your rod. Do what you want.