The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2012, 09:18 PM

irons is on a distinguished road
Default Re: What's the easiest 5wt rod to cast < $500

Sounds like you have some good rods already. Learning to cast them is a good idea.
Old 09-30-2012, 09:51 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Casting lessons are always a solid investment. The rods you mentioned are pretty solid, I wouldn't rush out to buy something new. BTW, Rio Grand is .5 over the weight mentioned on the package, and is usually a better match for fast action rods. Gold is probably a better match for the ZXL, YMMV.
Old 10-01-2012, 05:32 AM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike63 View Post
If you had $500 to spend and wanted to buy the easiest 5wt fly rod to cast, what would it be? Appearance, build quality, components are secondary, ease of casting and "feel" being the only criteria out to say 60 feet.

I think that the answer to your question depends, almost entirely, on your casting style. Only you will know the answer to your question and I think that the best way to get that answer is to go out and cast as many 5 wt. rods as you can. One of more of them will "talk" to you and you'll know when you've hooked up your casting style with the right rod and 60' will come pretty easily to you when you do.

Sage went the route of trying to design a rod that was easy for almost everyone to cast when they came out with their One blank. I think they were pretty successful in their attempt, but unless you get one used, that rod will take you out of your upper end price line.

You might want to try a TFO BVK rod; I haven't heard anyone say anything bad about them yet............. I also like the Redington CPX rods (I have two of them). My favorite 5 wt. is a Sage Z-Axis, but they stopped making them when they came out with the One; so unless you can get a used one in good shape, that's not really an option anymore.

Pocono
Old 10-01-2012, 07:21 AM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold

I'd have to agree The easiest Rod to Cast With & The easiest on your Pocket is The Ones you already have,as mentioned I'd persevere with The ZXL & The Rio Grand,perhaps down The Track Change The Line??
Then just get a bit of Fishing Practice in,as everyone will agree Casting on The Water beats Grass Casting anytime,you might have a few Casts that are Duds,so what??
Good Fishing

Brian
Old 10-01-2012, 08:25 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocono View Post
My favorite 5 wt. is a Sage Z-Axis, but they stopped making them when they came out with the One; so unless you can get a used one in good shape, that's not really an option anymore.

Pocono
I have both the Sage z-axis in a 10ft 4 wt and a Sage One in a 10ft 5 wt and actually like the z-axis bettter, but both are great rods. You can still get the z-axis rods on EBay, for example here is a new 5 wt for sale.

Sage Z-Axis 590-4, 5 wt. 9ft. 4 piece rod with WARRANTY CARD, New! 3 Days only | eBay

Larry

Old 10-01-2012, 09:59 PM

mike63 is on a distinguished road

I'm going to persevere with the ZXL for awhile. I've been overpowering the rod. Slowing things down got that nice gentle laydown of line right on the target track. Rio Grand is probably a bit too heavy, especially with 35-40 ft of line out so will throw on my reel spooled with Gold and see which is better. The ZXL seems to have some feel to it if I pay attention. Was hitting some 45 ft targets pretty well during my lawn practice session (albeit things might have been a jumbled mess if I had 2-fly set up and indicator).

If I explore other rods I will probably try the pure medium action rods some of you suggested. I've never cast a Winston and although the GVX and BIIIX are listed as fast action, I would like to try them given the Winston hype.

The ZXL is supposed to be Sage's premium medium action rod...sort of the medium action version of the Z-Axis. So, it may be the ticket with some more paratice and a training sortie.
Old 10-02-2012, 06:49 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Honestly, I think the GVX and BIIIX will be pretty close to your ZXL. Not sure about the GVX because I haven't cast one or have nothing to compare it to first hand. I own a BIIX and it is a tippy rod. The BIIIX is supposed to have been improved by making a more progressive taper in the rod, I'd suspect more similar to the ZXL than the BIIX. You have a great rod in your possession, throw it with some different line and get a lesson. Unless you are a certified casting instructor or pretty close to it, I think any one of us can get benefit from time with an instructor.

Curious: which model ZXL do you have?
Old 10-02-2012, 07:57 PM

mike63 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybo41 View Post

Curious: which model ZXL do you have?
I have the 9ft 5wt ZXL and am starting to get the hang of it. Rio Gold is a better line, I just tried it and it casts a bit further. I know this rod will fish well and can tell it will be very sensitive to strikes and subtle takes. Can't wait to fish it for real. Need to get it on the water soon.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 10-03-2012, 12:57 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

My full length presentation rod is a ZXL 490-4. I use a Rio Gold with it. The rod feels just right with the line.

Dennis
Old 10-03-2012, 07:50 AM

delopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by fly_guy12955 View Post
I have an Orvis 8 1/2' 5wt Access that I am learning to love big time. It's a slower, more relaxed timing, but has good distance and niceee soft presentation.
I'm assuming that you have the midflex? The tip flex taper is definitely faster than the mid flex. However, they're both still the Access. I love my Winston rods, but I also love the Orvis Access. There's something about that rod that sets it apart from the rest of the Orvis rods. Now, I haven't cast the Superfine Touch... I'm doing that this weekend...