The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2012, 01:27 PM

mike63 is on a distinguished road
Default What's the easiest 5wt rod to cast < $500

If you had $500 to spend and wanted to buy the easiest 5wt fly rod to cast, what would it be? Appearance, build quality, components are secondary, ease of casting and "feel" being the only criteria out to say 60 feet.
Old 09-30-2012, 01:35 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise
Default Re: What's the easiest 5wt rod to cast < $500

go to a fly shop.....cast some rods

ARFE
Old 09-30-2012, 01:47 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseywise View Post
go to a fly shop.....cast some rods
Darn good answer.

The reality is that people have different preferences. I might find that a faster rod is easier to cast, and someone else might find that a slower rod is easier to cast. In other words, different strokes for different folks.

Dennis
fredaevans and jaybo41 like this.
Old 09-30-2012, 02:20 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

+3 There really is no better way to answer the question for yourself. The good news is there are lots of good choices that should fit into a budget your max budget of $500.
Old 09-30-2012, 02:21 PM

Thanks guys, I do plan to take a trip to the local Fly Shop but was hoping to come armed with some suggestions from you all on which ones to try. Local place here has a ton of rods but they always seem to want to steer you the most expensive ones...
Old 09-30-2012, 02:29 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

What type of rods do you currently own and really like? Do you have a specific brand that you currently have and like? As MP said, some like fast action, some like medium or even slow action. Are you getting this for a specific purpose, or as a general purpose rod? What kind of flies/sizes do you expect to be tossing with it?

For reference and a list of some of the rods you might want to consider, the 5wt shootout is a worthwhile read though dated just slightly. Some models may have changed since publication, and remember, this is merely opinion. YOUR opinion is what counts. If it were me, I'd make a shortlist of the rods under $500 that interest me, then go to the shop and try them.

http://www.yellowstoneangler.com/Fly...pleforkBVK.asp
mcnerney likes this.
Old 09-30-2012, 03:41 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

If'n you are looking for a few model names, here is a short list based off of action.

Fast
TFO BVK
Redington CPX

Medium Fast
Scott A4
Hardy LRH Lightweight

Medium
Redington Tempt (It's the Classic Trout renamed. You can find CTs on sale.)

Dennis
Old 09-30-2012, 08:16 PM

moucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the rough

Get a Sage ZXL, a nice medium-action top-of-the-line rod that is being discontinued this fall. MSRP was ~$700, now available on closeout for $300-$500 depending where you find it.
Old 09-30-2012, 08:37 PM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold

I have an Orvis 8 1/2' 5wt Access that I am learning to love big time. It's a slower, more relaxed timing, but has good distance and niceee soft presentation. I haven't cast,,and do not,,, many 'big bugs' and I suspect that those might offer a bit of challenge,,but for dry's, wets, nymph'ing average to small streams,,,I really really like this rod. The touch and paticular speed of this rod is just compatiable with my brain I suppose.
I think when the guys say that different casters will judge a rod differently is true. We all have our own ...feel....so what might work for me, might be different for you. I'm just saying that I 'personally' like the Access mid-flex really well. But I'm drawn to the slower rods in general.

Good luck on finding ya 'soul-mate' in a fly rod !
Old 09-30-2012, 09:05 PM

Guys, i think in hinsight I will just invest $40 in a castiing lesson from the local Orvis endorsed fly shop. I've got several nice rods and should be able to get one dialed in. I'll focus on the caster instead of the rod for a bit. A good instructor may be able to tell me if I need something else. I bought a ZXL just since i got such an incredible deal on one recently. I tried some casts tonight with Rio Grand and was getting some good feel with this rod and made some decent casts out to almost 50 feet. I'll take that to the lesson.

I can't cast the Sage One worth a ****. I have a Scott A4 in a 4 wt, 8 ft and actually do better with that than any of the 5 wts I've tried.