The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2012, 01:14 PM

delopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Action and Lengths Best For Beginners.

I'd have to agree. She really needs to cast them first, to see what she likes. Another contender, which is right at the $200 mark, but a really great caster, is the Winston Passport. It's a very comfortable casting rod, light, and great for the price. I still pick mine up and cast it!
noreaster likes this.
Old 10-08-2012, 07:11 PM

mike63 is on a distinguished road

There are some Redington 4 wt CTs on eBay (new) for about $100. Kind of hard to pass up really.
noreaster likes this.
Old 10-08-2012, 08:56 PM

44runner is on a distinguished road

I think easiest to cast is a medium-fast action. Slower actions seem to give beginners trouble with timing and fast actions seem to be hard for a newbie to control. The easiest rod I have a bunch of time on is a Sage Flight. It seems to have that perfect action that anyone seems to pick up quickly. There are probably a few left on clearance too.

I love the Redington CT and own 2 myself but it doesn't seem to be a rod I can hand even someone that has a little fly experience and they can fling it well. If that slower medium action is something she digs though I can't say enough good things about that rod. Possibly the best deal in fly rods especially now that it is on closeout. Not to mention one of the prettiest too...
noreaster likes this.

Last edited by 44runner; 10-09-2012 at 05:50 AM.
Old 10-08-2012, 11:01 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

FYI: The CT was recently discontinued. It has been rebadged as the Tempt. You can find CTs discounted all over the interwebs.

Dennis
noreaster likes this.
Old 10-09-2012, 03:18 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by noreaster View Post
Awesome,
This is pretty much what I was thinking. I liked the idea of medium fast in 4 wt. between 7'6" and 8'6"

I've seen some nice 8 foot 4 wt.'s around $149.00
Yellowstone Angler just put out their 4 wt shoot out and one rod fits in your sweet spot ===> the St Croix 8.5 ft. 4 wt. at $200.00

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy