The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2012, 01:58 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: need help

Hi Vango,

Welcome to the forum, as you see it does not take long to get some feedback here. I hope you'll stick around and keep us up to speed with your fall fishing.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 10-09-2012, 01:58 PM

newby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of light

The Z-Axis (if you didn't know) has been discontinued. You can still find them on ebay, maybe at a local fly shop, or maybe at one or two places online, but by and large they may be a little harder to find then something else.
Old 10-09-2012, 02:07 PM

vango is on a distinguished road

I really appreciate your support. I will be looking into the Sage ZXL (sounds like a great presentation rod with some authority too) the Z-Axis for the same reasons (not the One) I need help with the presentation. I will also look into the Scott G-2. Have not made up my mind on 4 wt or 5 wt. I like alot of people like a long cast but my priority is catching trout not winning casting contests so trying to make a wise decision here. Something that can make a delicate presentation at short yardage but also handle a decent distance and the wind. A great performing all around rod.
Old 10-09-2012, 07:10 PM

44runner is on a distinguished road

I would add the new Redington Link to test out. Also St. Croix has some great offerings that won't break the bank either. The Imperial is one heck of a rod for the money.
Old 10-09-2012, 07:16 PM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future

Two more cents from me

I have the 490-4 Z axis and if I could make a decent deal I would trade it for a 486-4 ZXL. Dont get me wrong the Zaxis is great but I find the ZXL just a tad better.

I tend to set the hook like Roland Martin on a 8lb largemouth so I tend to pop alot of tippet. The ZXL is slightly more forgiving for me and my hammer handed methods.
Old 10-09-2012, 10:51 PM

mike63 is on a distinguished road

I'm no expert but for it's worth the 590-4 Z-Axis has a cult following out here in Colorado and is especially popular with guides. They swear by it and fish it everywhere, dries, droppers, nymph rigs. Finding one will take some patience, however.

I've only been fishing for a couple years and don't get out all that often but still find that nymphing is the way to go for much of a typical day. Depending on where you go, flows will vary considerably and I would choose a rod that is versatile enough to drift dual nymph rigs, strip streamers, and land tiny tricos softly.
Old 10-11-2012, 07:10 PM

Thanks Mike. I would really enjoy having a 590-4 Z-Axis! I have been surfing through Ebay to find a used Z-Axis or ZXL. I have an 8wt Z-Axis and am not very good at casting it yet for the bigger river fish..but I enjoy using it so much. That's half the battle.
Old 10-17-2012, 07:21 PM

I am really happy to have folks on the forum to listen to. It all led me to a beautiful Sage ZXL 486-4. I found it used but just like new. I am still learning to cast so when i get up to speed this should be a great trout rod here in the Driftless area and in Colorado. I have been spin fishing my whole life and love it but there is nothing more peaceful to me than walking a stream..if i ever get the casting down..it will be awesome! Dan