The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2012, 09:29 PM

vango is on a distinguished road
Question need help

I am a new guy. I have an 8wt z-axis for river fishing. I am looking for a great quality rod for fishing trout streams. I will be fishing the driftless area in Wisconsin next year and trout streams in Rocky Mountain national park. I need a rod that is sensitive for a nice presentation but has some versatility. I thought the z-axis 4 or 5 wt would be good but not if it is too hard to get a soft presentation or accurate short cast with. I looked at Orvis superfine Touch today..thought they were nice. I am seeking your suggestions. I have a 3 wt Echo Carbon 7ft 6 and would like to have a 4 or 5 wt that i can use all around.
Old 10-08-2012, 09:42 PM

newby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: need help

IMO the Orvis Superfine Touch is a very fine rod, but it is slow action. Having a rod that flexes to the butt in the driftless region is not necessarily a good thing. On really windy days you will not want a slow action rod. Trying to cast in the wind with one is fruitless and very frustrating.

You say you want something that can handle a wide variety of things. I would pick something in the 7'6" range in, a three or a four weight. If you are going to be fishing open streams in the driftless and want to toss dries delicately and also possible throw a nymph or streamer further down the road you are best off with a medium action with some back bone or a medium-fast action rod.

I don't care for fast action fly rods on small creeks like those in the Rockies. Sure there are some set-ups that are OK for short distances and will load decently and maybe even land a dry softly, but you are better off with something a little slower so you can get those short precise casts as well as deal with the wind.

My recommendations for the fishing you describe would be something along the lines of a 7'6" 3wt. Redington Tempt (cheaper, but sweet), a 7'6" 3wt. Scott A4, or a 7'6" Sage ZXL 3wt. The ZXL is also available in that length as a four weight. A 3 or 4wt Winston WT would fit the bill nicely as well.

If you are looking for an even higher end rod that is a bit more expsensive, Scott also makes the G2 which is totally blinged out- simply gorgeous. I would go with a 7'7" 3 or 4wt. A 3 or 4wt Winston WT would fit the bill nicely as well. Winston makes a Boron IIt that is 7'6" in 3 and 4 wts. A 7'9" 3 or 4wt Winston LT would be something else to consider.

Those last ones are all over $700 MSRP, don't know if that is out of your budget or not, but I figured I'd list them since you mentioned you were after a high-end fly rod.

Last edited by newby; 10-08-2012 at 10:05 PM.
Old 10-08-2012, 10:02 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

I've never fished the driftless region, but if you're getting one rod for trout, I recommend a 8'6" or 9' 4 or 5wt. I love my short rods (fish a lot with my 6'6" and 7'6" rods) but do find there are a lot of times I would like more reach. There's a fair bit of nymphing going on out here in the Rockies and the small streams often have a lot of different currents you might want to get over. The longer rod helps with a good drift with a nymph or dry.

x2 for the wind issues That said, I'm really learning to love my slower action rods.
Old 10-08-2012, 10:08 PM

comeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud of

my humble opinion being someone who fishes the Rocky Mt Park alot. I love my ZXL 376-4 and TXL 3wt up there but if I had to choose 1 rod for the park and 1 only it would be my Sage TXL 4710-3.

Not saying get that exact rod because you might have different tastes, but here is why I find it the perfect "ALL AROUND" rod for the park.

7'10" is short enough for the tree lined creeks, yet long enough to mend when necessary
50' casts are doable with it so if you go hit the lakes distance wont be an issue
Strong enough to throw dries and droppers in the wind, but yet can land a size 20 BWO so nicely.

It is definitely considered a faster action rod but it protects 6 and 7x tippet very nicely.
vango likes this.
Old 10-08-2012, 10:20 PM

newby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by vango View Post
I am a new guy. I have an 8wt z-axis for river fishing. I am looking for a great quality rod for fishing trout streams. I will be fishing the driftless area in Wisconsin next year and trout streams in Rocky Mountain national park. I need a rod that is sensitive for a nice presentation but has some versatility. I thought the z-axis 4 or 5 wt would be good but not if it is too hard to get a soft presentation or accurate short cast with. I looked at Orvis superfine Touch today..thought they were nice. I am seeking your suggestions. I have a 3 wt Echo Carbon 7ft 6 and would like to have a 4 or 5 wt that i can use all around.
I must not have seen this. Or this was added after I read it. Anyways use the Echo Carbon for whatever streams you fish.

Substitute an 8-9' 5wt in the same rods as my previous post and you still have some great high-end options.

---------- Post added at 10:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:10 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamhj View Post
I've never fished the driftless region, but if you're getting one rod for trout, I recommend a 8'6" or 9' 4 or 5wt. I love my short rods (fish a lot with my 6'6" and 7'6" rods) but do find there are a lot of times I would like more reach. There's a fair bit of nymphing going on out here in the Rockies and the small streams often have a lot of different currents you might want to get over. The longer rod helps with a good drift with a nymph or dry.

x2 for the wind issues That said, I'm really learning to love my slower action rods.
Great advice. I was assuming he was asking for a small stream fly rod intended for those two regions and must have missed that he wanted a 4 or 5wt for all around trout fishing.

I, too, have a thing for slower action rods as long as the wind is not in play. Something about feeling the rod flex smoothly, the line loading no matter the distance, just makes it feel more like fly fishing .

Last edited by newby; 10-09-2012 at 01:56 PM.
Old 10-09-2012, 09:01 AM

WilliamHJ

Very helpful ideas thanks!

---------- Post added at 09:01 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:44 AM ----------

I have a big Sage in the Z-axis 8 wt..hope it will fit the bill for pike, bass, large trout and salmon here in the Southeast Wisconsin area...my 3 wgt Echo carbon can be used on small trout streams if wind is light. I really like the quality of the Sage so the ZXL sounds very nice to me in a 4 wt. Would you know how to compare it to the Scott G-2s. Yes i do need this rod to have some backbone if in typical windy conditions. I will probably elect to go with at least an 8 ft or more. The Scott A-4 sounds nice too. I do want American made. I would like a really nice rod that is easy to cast and can lay a great presentation. Thanks for your support in this fishy endeavor!

---------- Post added at 09:01 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:01 AM ----------

I have a big Sage in the Z-axis 8 wt..hope it will fit the bill for pike, bass, large trout and salmon here in the Southeast Wisconsin area...my 3 wgt Echo carbon can be used on small trout streams if wind is light. I really like the quality of the Sage so the ZXL sounds very nice to me in a 4 wt. Would you know how to compare it to the Scott G-2s. Yes i do need this rod to have some backbone if in typical windy conditions. I will probably elect to go with at least an 8 ft or more. The Scott A-4 sounds nice too. I do want American made. I would like a really nice rod that is easy to cast and can lay a great presentation. Thanks for your support in this fishy endeavor!
Old 10-09-2012, 09:02 AM

44runner is on a distinguished road

If you have a 3wt I would go after a 5wt for pitching larger flies. A 4 isn't going to give you much horse power advantage over the 3 you already have. Some trout flies I have like larger bead head woolies actually sling better with a 6wt but are manageable with my 5.
Old 10-09-2012, 09:09 AM

So i am looking for a rod that has some backbone for windy conditions, some versatility, an action that supports a soft presentation which will not spook the trout, and a nice quality build here in the USA..I like the Sage ZXL. Any other recommendations. I would be interested in the Scott brand (made in Colorado). Would the Z-axis lack the feel and touch for soft presentations in close? I am thinking 5 wt now.
Old 10-09-2012, 01:07 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by vango View Post
Would the Z-axis lack the feel and touch for soft presentations in close? I am thinking 5 wt now.
This is one area that 5 weight Z-Axis excelled. For a quicker 5 weight, the Z-Axis fished nicely close in due to its very soft tip. That is one reason why I have not upgraded to a One.

If I was going to buy a replacement for my 5 weight Z-Axis, it would be the current Winston B3X. The rod still has plenty of backbone to fight fish and to adapt to different payloads. It has a very soft tip, and it bends slightly further down the blank than a Z-Axis. The benefit to that is better shock absorption which will help in tippet protection.

Dennis
Old 10-09-2012, 01:27 PM

mi_trouter is on a distinguished road

I agree with the earlier suggestion of a 5 wt., look at the 8'6". The Sage ZXL and the Scott G series would be a great place to start. Some very good prices on ZXL's right now....