The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2012, 06:58 PM

tennessee dave will become famous soon enoughtennessee dave will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Thoughts on fishing with Bamboo rods

I have an 8 foot AJ Thramer built on the Payne 102 taper that I love. I also fish Orvis graphite but there is just something special about the bamboo. It just feels as though the rod is part of me. There is no thinking required with it while I am casting. It just seems to put the fly where I want it. There is also the perk of knowing that a fine craftsman put his time (upwards to 40 hours), name and reputation on the line. The rod makes a statement about who he is. There are a lot of bamboo rods out there from some excellent craftsmen at less money than the top of the line graphites. Of course there are a lot of craftsmen who charge several times what the top of the line graphites run these days. Every one has to decide for themselves I suppose. For me there is a very special feeling when I am fishing with the bamboo that is just not there with any graphite rod. That feeling is priceless for me.
Old 10-19-2012, 07:05 PM

golfnfish will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by wt bash View Post
I'd love to see a Pinky competition! Gillums are so rare (due to the glues he used) that they sell for rediculous ammounts (saw one sell at over 14K) and there are only a few tapers listed in the different libraries. I'm currently building a Payne Para 79 and just going by the stress curve graphs and reading the measurements I can see its a bloody rocket launcher, I just hope I do the original justice!

Oh and alot of the glass and cane crowd call graphite rods plastic.
Agree. I read posters all the time on the Classic Rod Forum post to the effect " I haven't fished a plastic rod in years" or words to that effect. No big deal to me but I've always thought it was purposely disparaging graphite rods. Never thought that when somebody referred to bamboo rods as boo but it sure seems a flashpoint for many that prefer them. Neither really bother me.
Old 10-19-2012, 08:35 PM

nickj is a glorious beacon of lightnickj is a glorious beacon of lightnickj is a glorious beacon of lightnickj is a glorious beacon of lightnickj is a glorious beacon of light

Bamboo rods are just different. It's as though I can feel a trout's heart beating while playing it, mine's that sensitive. They're not all equal, by any means, though. I had a 7' 5w Hardy Palakona that was easily the worst rod I've ever fished with. It would have made a good handle for a push broom. I have an 8' Orvis Madison that was my father's, and it is a wonderfully sensitive rod. I don't fish with it often enough.
Old 10-20-2012, 11:47 AM

overmywaders will become famous soon enough

I suppose that "Boo" is unsettling because it neither describes the material nor honors the craft and skill required to construct the rod. "Bam" doesn't help.

Boo appears to be a term intending to show how casual one is with the esoteric. "Oh, I have some Boo." rather than "I have a cane fly rod." That is just my thoroughly subjective impression.

As for calling graphite fly rods "plastic", that is somewhat inaccurate. Fiberglass, boron, and graphite fly rods are all "Fiber reinforced plastic" (FRP). An Orvis impregnated bamboo rod is, if you think about it, also fiber reinforced plastic.

http://overmywaders.com
Old 10-20-2012, 03:36 PM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by popperfly View Post
I been thinking about making the plunge into purchasing a Bamboo rod for the experience, how many others fish with Bamboo rods and what do you like about it?
If presentation is a big part of what you enjoy about fly fishing, then a cane rod is definitely in your future.

For me there is no better feel for gentle presentations than what you get with cane. And with a fish on the line; the rod comes alive and it's definitely something special.

I remember two Summers ago, landing a big Brown Trout on a 3 wt. cane rod. Way too much fish for the rod (I was after native Brookies) and a real surprise on the hook-up, but I got it to the net. It was a fighter and at one point; when I had the tip of the leader out of the water, the distance between the tip of the bent rod my hand was not more than 18"

I'd suggest borrowing a cane rod from a friend; fish it and see if it's your style.

Pocono
Old 10-20-2012, 04:14 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Kevin,

I wrote a long reply the day you first posted this thread however my computer did an automatic restart to install updates and all was lost It has taken some time for me to get around to this and now I'll make it a little shorter

Holding a bamboo rod puts fishing into perspective for me. It's not about what or how many fish would be caught but moreover a love for what you are doing. The rods tend to slow everything down, the cast will seem almost slow motion compared to a modern graphite rods action. In the shorter rods with light lines they are in my opinion the finest tool for probing a small brush crowded stream with a dry fly. The slow strokes and line movement allow the angler to find even the tiniest windows for both back cast and presentation casts.

Of course there is the aesthetic nature of the wood rods and this may end up appealing to you also. They are neat rods, rods that speak of the history of the sport and of the craftsmen who made their construction their life's work. When I lived in Pennsylvania and other states in the lower 48 I used my cane rods almost exclusively on many streams. They were the best suited for the streams in question and so were the logical choice. With their cost it takes years to build a collection of them and mine took 20 years to acquire. I have 5 of them that range from an 8 weight salmon rod down to a flea rod for those little brooks. Here in Alaska they don't see as much use as they did in our other life but every year they go out to catch some trout and char. I did use the salmon rod a whole lot until 4 seasons back when I started using the Spey rods for the big fish and rivers.

Find a good rod and get the experience first hand. If you have any questions (I'm no expert) just PM and I'll try to help you with finding the right rod for you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 10-20-2012, 10:31 PM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocono
If presentation is a big part of what you enjoy about fly fishing, then a cane rod is definitely in your future.

For me there is no better feel for gentle presentations than what you get with cane. And with a fish on the line; the rod comes alive and it's definitely something special.
That's the essence indeed, Pocono. Right on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ard
Holding a bamboo rod puts fishing into perspective for me. It's not about what or how many fish would be caught but moreover a love for what you are doing. The rods tend to slow everything down, the cast will seem almost slow motion compared to a modern graphite rods action. In the shorter rods with light lines they are in my opinion the finest tool for probing a small brush crowded stream with a dry fly. The slow strokes and line movement allow the angler to find even the tiniest windows for both back cast and presentation casts.

Of course there is the aesthetic nature of the wood rods and this may end up appealing to you also. They are neat rods, rods that speak of the history of the sport and of the craftsmen who made their construction their life's work. When I lived in Pennsylvania and other states in the lower 48 I used my cane rods almost exclusively on many streams. They were the best suited for the streams in question and so were the logical choice. With their cost it takes years to build a collection of them and mine took 20 years to acquire.
And that's the philosoqhy, history and humility surrounding it Ard. Right on! Most of my fishing was done with 7 or 7 1/2' rods, but I do have a gorgeous 9' Paine 400 salmon rod that has very little use and which I have babied the hell out of.

WT Bash,

I had no idea you were a maker! From what I've read, Pinky Gillum was a wild and crazy guy. It's too bad he didn't use whatever glue the rest of his contempories used - resourcinol I'd guess. One of these days before I get too old, I'm going to put a SA MED 6 wt on that 400 and see how it handles it compared to a "plastic" rod strictly for distance.

As for "Boo", "Plastic", "Blow Boats", and "Poons", I prefer to call them by their whole names - especially Tarpon which I am particularly fond of. For some reason I usually call Sailfish 'Sails", and Bonefish "Bones" but neither seem disrespectful like calling Tarpon "Poons". Perhaps it's because the "fish" on the end is redundant to start with.
Old 10-21-2012, 11:03 AM

overmywaders will become famous soon enough

I've tried a lot of different makers' interpretations of the Young Para 14 and while there was significant variability, I seem to recall that I enjoyed them all.

Parabolics are where the cane rods have an edge over graphite and fiberglass, IMO. Really strong parabolics, like the Kirkconnell Kick taper, are absolutely shocking (but useless for delicacy or control). Payne's semi-parabolics are a sweet compromise of power and control.

Wet fly tapers are another way in which the significant mass of cane provides an advantage over the minimal mass of graphite and fiberglass. You can really see the "rod doing the work" when you merely move your wrist and the mass of the rod tip self-loads and performs a delicate thirty foot cast. Years ago, Sam Carlson was showing me the sections of a 12' salmon quadrate that he had built up but never finished. I said "Let's put ferrules on it and see what it feels like", so we put some "try" ferrules on... whoa! You could almost hear the sound of a Star Wars light sabre when you started the rod in motion.

Regards,
Reed

http://overmywaders.com
Old 10-21-2012, 01:54 PM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by wt bash View Post
I'd love to see a Pinky competition! Gillums are so rare (due to the glues he used) that they sell for rediculous ammounts (saw one sell at over 14K) and there are only a few tapers listed in the different libraries. I'm currently building a Payne Para 79 and just going by the stress curve graphs and reading the measurements I can see its a bloody rocket launcher, I just hope I do the original justice!

Oh and alot of the glass and cane crowd call graphite rods plastic.
I had heard that some, if not many, of the Gillum tapers were relatively fast action; compared to other maker's tapers. I had asked a local builder about building a Gillum taper rod for for me, but he said he had no experience with them. And that's as far as I got.

Pocono
Old 10-21-2012, 08:05 PM

popperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to all
Send a message via Skype™ to popperfly

I can say, just ask a question on NAFFF you will receive a wealth of information. I really appreciate everyone thoughts, web links and contact information for Bamboo rods, Split Cane rods, Vintage Bamboo rods or Antique Bamboo rods….Just want to use the correct names.
There is so much to learn when it comes to Bamboo rods, all the different makers, taper, what weight/action….etc, unbelievable amount of information a guy need know before making that purchase. One of the biggest issues I am facing and asking myself is what maker? Way too many good bamboos builds from the past and current from all my research, how you do really nail that down or does it really matter. Two main factors I come away with from ready everyone replies is the sensitivity and a dream to cast, I enjoy old school stuff and looking forward to purchasing my first Bamboo rod.. I am currently looking for a 4-5wt rod and would like to stay in the 7 to 8ft range max, mainly fish trout.

Born to Fish...Forced to Work !