The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2012, 08:26 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future
Default Re: Thoughts on fishing with Bamboo rods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocono View Post
I had heard that some, if not many, of the Gillum tapers were relatively fast action; compared to other maker's tapers. I had asked a local builder about building a Gillum taper rod for for me, but he said he had no experience with them. And that's as far as I got.
Most are pretty fast compared to what other makers of the time were doing. The only that I know of that isn't is the 806. It has a somewhat parabolic action.

Gillum from what I've read was a character, I mean come on his nick name was Pinky! But I had read that he found out people were fishing his rods "wrong" and would take them back and break them over his knee. He only made a few rods compared to Leonard and other bigger names and towards the end of his career switched over to resourcinol but he was most certainly unique!
I'm far from a maker though although I can make quite the mess when it comes to cane. The kicker is I already know how easy ( I say that loosely) it is to make a rod with modern tools but for whatever masocistic reason I've set to it by hand. I'm getting there though I have two ready for varnish and started another taper over the weekend.

Popperfly I were to reccomend a maker or taper I would look into Sweetwater rods and ask about the 7' 4wt 48 Special taper. All I can say is WICKED!!!!
Old 10-22-2012, 06:04 AM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

Popperfly,

Probably the best thing that you can do at this stage is to go out and cast some 4-5 wt. cane rods in the 7'-8' range. It's not as easy to do that as it is to cast graphite; simply based on the fact that: 1. cane rods are not as popular and, hence, are not carried by all fly shops, and 2. demo "accidents", given the price of most cane rods, is a disincentive for most shop owners.

But, if you're in an area where there are some good fly shops, then chances are they'll have a cane rod or two that you can cast; particularly if you look like a genuine buyer.

Another way to go; one that I used before I purchased my first cane rod, was to go to the big Fly Fishing shows, talk to the makers there and cast some of their rods (they almost always bring demo rods with them/and some good deals). That way you can get some side-by-side comparisons which, I think, is always the best way to go. I would also bet; although I don't know this for a fact, that there is an annual bamboo builders convention/show. If there is, it would probably be worth the cost of the ticket/lodging to attend it. That would be a great opportunity to compare cane rods.

Another poster has already mentioned Glenn Brackett of Sweetgrass Rods; formerly head of the bamboo shop at Winston. He's a wealth of information and although he'd like to sell you a Sweetgrass Rod, I'm sure, he's easy to talk to and he'll give you a good perspective on all bamboo rods.

My 5 wt. cane rod is an 8'0" Dickerson 14 taper (8014). Very easy to cast, great feel and plenty of backbone to handle larger trout. No advertisement here, but Ben Turpin built it for me. I've since gone back to him for two more cane rods.

Have fun! You're going to enjoy the trip that you're on a lot; from start to finish (if there is such a thing as "finish" when you're talking about cane rods)!

Pocono
Old 10-22-2012, 03:46 PM

45fisher is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by popperfly View Post
I been thinking about making the plunge into purchasing a Bamboo rod for the experience, how many others fish with Bamboo rods and what do you like about it?
I built my 1st Boo about 2yrs ago specifically for small stream Brookies in the spring and the fall..it was a 'Pain' very labor intensive...but it is a dream to use.
I personally think it makes you learn to cast. With graphite rod you can get the line out a 'fur-piece' with bad technique. With a Boo you'll be casting at your feet. Where I fish with my Boo 20' or less is all I need. But it requires...a bit more finese?

I would rather build graphite rods, but I am building my third Boo now.
If you can afford to buy one and want the experience...go for it!
Larry
Old 10-28-2012, 06:53 PM

popperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to all
Send a message via Skype™ to popperfly

OK....I did it this weekend. Took the big plunge and purchased my first Bamboo rod. I casted roughly 20 to 25 different bamboo rods over the weeks and this Orvis rod just felt & casted the best for me. This will be one long week waiting for Saturday to come so I can hit the river and try this beauty out.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts, contact info and links you posted.

Orvis Impregnated Bamboo Fly Rod. Length 7' - 3PC / #4 line with extra tip. and with the deal, Orvis Limited Edition CFO Reel.
The bamboo rod was built by Ron White

Click the image to open in full size.

imxer, Pocono, jpbfly and 2 others like this.

Born to Fish...Forced to Work !

Last edited by popperfly; 10-29-2012 at 02:45 PM.
Old 10-29-2012, 09:06 AM

tennessee dave will become famous soon enoughtennessee dave will become famous soon enough

That's a beautiful combo!!! Congrats and enjoy it.
Old 10-29-2012, 01:49 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Beautiful rod...hope you'll have fun with it on saturday
Old 10-29-2012, 06:46 PM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

You will have fun with it on Saturday!

How's the balance between the rod and the reel with the line out through the tip top?

I ask because I find that with a cane rod; which is, generally, heavier in the hand that a graphite rod, rod/reel balance is important in order to avoid getting arm-tired towards the end of the day.

What is said I don't find to be the case for smaller cane rods, like 3 wts., but it is a consideration for me with a 5 wt on up.

Great looking rod/reel combo, by the way; IMO just the look that the rod needs!

Be sure to tell us how it fishes for you........................

Pocono
Old 10-29-2012, 09:48 PM

popperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to all
Send a message via Skype™ to popperfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocono View Post
You will have fun with it on Saturday!

How's the balance between the rod and the reel with the line out through the tip top?

I ask because I find that with a cane rod; which is, generally, heavier in the hand that a graphite rod, rod/reel balance is important in order to avoid getting arm-tired towards the end of the day.

What is said I don't find to be the case for smaller cane rods, like 3 wts., but it is a consideration for me with a 5 wt on up.

Great looking rod/reel combo, by the way; IMO just the look that the rod needs!

Be sure to tell us how it fishes for you........................

Pocono
Pocono,
The CFO reel really balance out on the rod, I lawn casted it over the weekend with no problem except for dealing with all the wind Sandy brought to our area. The reel is pretty light even with the line, glad I purchase the reel because the rod & reel match perfect.

More to come after I hit the river.

Keven

Born to Fish...Forced to Work !
Old 10-29-2012, 10:08 PM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

Congradulations Keven!!

After a week's worth of days fishing brooks and rivers with that baby, a graphite rod just won't do it for you anymore.