The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2012, 01:39 PM

marshlanddawg is on a distinguished road
Default Scott A4

I'm about to purchase a Scott A4 8wt. I fish mainly for reds and the like on flats and inshore. But also some stripers and bass on big lakes. My question is should I get the 9' or the 9'6.
Also, I've got an 8wt WF line on my old 8Wt that I'm gonna keep around for when my buddies wanna go out w/ me, but I'm wondering if there is a fly line that covers salt and freshwater use that is kind of an "all star" line. Any help is much appreciated.
Old 10-18-2012, 09:04 AM

mrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Scott A4

Its been my experience that any good saltwater line can double as a freshwater line, but not visa versa. Freshwater line can sometimes break down with exposure to the salt. More important is the temperature rating. So long as you don't try to fish warm water line in cold water and the otherway round too, you'll be fine. I am very partial to the Rio Redfish, SA Titan Taper, and the Rio Outbound Short.

There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. ~Patrick F. McManus, Never Sniff a Gift Fish, 1979

Anger is like peeing in your pants: everyone can see it, but only you can feel it. ~Jeff Yalden

Remember: The winner gets to write the history books.
Old 10-18-2012, 09:55 AM

wishiniwerfishin will become famous soon enoughwishiniwerfishin will become famous soon enough

My favorite line is the Rio outbound short cold water. I use it all year, 110 degree weather in the summer to 40 degree winter weather, never had a problem. But I have used warm water line in the winter and it was way too stiff. I would just get the cold water line and call it good, no need for having a bunch of lines just because the marketing guru's say you need them. I know guys that use the cold water OBS line in Baja During the summer with no problems.

Last edited by wishiniwerfishin; 10-18-2012 at 07:11 PM.
Old 10-18-2012, 10:06 AM

marshlanddawg is on a distinguished road

Thanks guys!
Old 10-18-2012, 10:47 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshlanddawg View Post
My question is should I get the 9' or the 9'6.
Get the 9 foot model.
Old 10-19-2012, 09:21 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

Different rods like different lines. Call Scott customer service, tell them about your fishing (sounds like you are in the South) and ask their recommendation on fly line. Let us know what they have to say please. The 9' will cast better, the 9 1/2' is for mending as in salmon and steelhead fishing.
Old 10-19-2012, 10:29 AM

mrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to behold

+1 on the 9ft rod

There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. ~Patrick F. McManus, Never Sniff a Gift Fish, 1979

Anger is like peeing in your pants: everyone can see it, but only you can feel it. ~Jeff Yalden

Remember: The winner gets to write the history books.