The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2012, 11:25 AM

dennis7490 is on a distinguished road
Default Sage GSL RP or Orvis Clearwater

Hello all,

I have the opportunity to go steelhead fishing on the Smith River this year, and I do NOT fish much. I also have a lot of old equipment from over the years.

I am debating whether to get my son (14 yrs old) a new Orvis Clearwater outfit for the trip, or buy him a reel to go with one of the rods below.

I have two old Sage GSL RP 9'6" #8 rods. One of them was used hard and the other is still like new.

I also have a new, Ross Momentum 5 which I will have an 8wt. line put on and use with one of the old Sage rods.

Question: Would you buy a reel (under $150) for the old Sage rod, ozr the new Orvis Clearwater outfit?

Thanks,

Dennis
Old 10-21-2012, 11:41 AM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of
Default Re: Sage GSL RP or Orvis Clearwater

well, if it were me I'd get an Okuma SLV and put it on that well used rod for him...If his nature is to care for things and he takes care of and appreciates that outfit, I'd trade him on his 16th Bday and give him the better rod and Momentum. 2 cents worth...