The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2012, 11:15 PM

civicrr is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 8wt rod advice

That was the old 8 weight shootout. Notice there are Sage Xi2 & TCR rods on the chart? Both are discontinued/replaced by newer models as is the Redington CPS which was replaced by the CPX.

The latest 8wt Shootout was in 2011.
Click the image to open in full size.

Redington has since replaced the CPX with the new 'Link' just recently. The Link reminds me of my NRX. I like it much better than the 8wt BVK which doesn't have the power in the butt of the Link or the NRX. I've been using the Link with Airflo's Sniper 8wt S7 line.

If you do want to buy a CPX, you can find some closeout pricing on them still....

I've also heard good things about the GLoomis Pro4X although I've yet to personally cast one.
Old 10-24-2012, 09:20 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

The 8-Weight Shootout chart above is the overall scoring which includes price; I find the performance only chart more revealing. This shootout was one of Anderson's best in my opinion because it was a clearly defined apples to apples comparison. If the Redington Link reminds you of your NRX#8, that is high praise indeed. This NRX is my personal favorite flats rod too. In the Links price range, one might cross shop ECHO3, a very good rod price independent. ECHO3 is designed in America but built in Korea, where are the Redington rods made?
Old 10-24-2012, 08:14 PM

civicrr is on a distinguished road

The Link had a made in China sticker on the bottom of the fighting butt.

The Link has a very similar taper/action as the NRX IMO. It does not have the same amount of power. It does seem to have more power than the BVK as I previously mentioned. I've been using it once or twice a week since I got it approximately a month ago. The cork has held up much, much better than the BVK's did. Please note that all I fish are either heavy shooting heads or integrated shooting head lines for stripers. My sense is that this rod will work nicely when more delicate presentations are required. It has a more 'delicate', easier loading tip than the CPX did.

I'd really, really like to try the GLoomis Pro4X. Since it is made "utilize the tapers & even the tip section is NRX material" (from various GLoomis press/interviews) as the NRX, I'm guessing it would throw shooting heads well.

Both the Link & the Pro4X are rods I'd include considering if shopping in that price point.