The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2012, 01:12 PM

jborn is on a distinguished road
Default 8wt rod advice

I am thinking about getting an 8wt rod for tiger muskie , steelhead and salmon. The steelhead and salmon fishing will occur very seldom as NM doesn’t have any opportunities.

I would appreciate input concerning the Aleka, Echo and Allen rods in 8wt. The Aleka has some special appeal since they are the least expensive of the three series but there are no dealers for any of these rods in ABQ.

thanks
Old 10-22-2012, 09:20 AM

mrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: 8wt rod advice

I have 8wt rods from TFO, Orvis, Brown Drake, Cortland, and Loomis, but no experience with the brands you list. I suggest you take a long hard look at the actions of each you wish to purchase. Find a way to test cast them. No matter what we say....casting preferences are as individual as food preferences. Good luck.

There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. ~Patrick F. McManus, Never Sniff a Gift Fish, 1979

Anger is like peeing in your pants: everyone can see it, but only you can feel it. ~Jeff Yalden

Remember: The winner gets to write the history books.
Old 10-22-2012, 10:20 AM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

Homer makes a good point with regard to testing out the rods. I know that Allen at least has a program where they will send you a rod to test for free and if you like it you pay for it and keep it. So that's always an option.
mcnerney, Guest1, mrfzx and 1 others like this.

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 10-22-2012, 11:12 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

+1 for the advice that Homer and AJ has offered. I have never fished for Muskies (it is on my bucket list), but I'm wondering if an 8 wt is going to leave you severely under gunned. I may be wrong, but from what I have heard that a 10 wt is a better fit for that type of fishing.......you need something heavy enough to through those huge flies that look like your casting half a chicken.

Larry

Old 10-22-2012, 11:17 AM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

The Yellowstone Angler 8 Weight Shoot Out ranks the Redington CPS as the best buy.

Click the image to open in full size.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 10-22-2012, 01:10 PM

mrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
+1 for the advice that Homer and AJ has offered. I have never fished for Muskies (it is on my bucket list), but I'm wondering if an 8 wt is going to leave you severely under gunned. I may be wrong, but from what I have heard that a 10 wt is a better fit for that type of fishing.......you need something heavy enough to through those huge flies that look like your casting half a chicken.

Larry
LOL! Half chicken flies! That is the exact term Lefty called the dark-water Tarpon flies we use in Costa Rica.
mcnerney likes this.

There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. ~Patrick F. McManus, Never Sniff a Gift Fish, 1979

Anger is like peeing in your pants: everyone can see it, but only you can feel it. ~Jeff Yalden

Remember: The winner gets to write the history books.
Old 10-23-2012, 06:52 AM

pete a has a spectacular aura aboutpete a has a spectacular aura aboutpete a has a spectacular aura about

I'd suggest you alos consider the discontinued but very nice Sage Flight. These are still available on sale in the $200-240 range.

Don't do any of the fishing you do so can't comment on it's use there but mine throws bass bugs well. I use it on the always windy Texas gulf coast where it shines. Seldom do I see below 15mph winds in a day of fishing with 20-25 being norm. Have whipped several 24-26" reds with it.

Pete A.
mcnerney and rockriver like this.
Old 10-23-2012, 08:56 AM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver creek View Post
The Yellowstone Angler 8 Weight Shoot Out ranks the Redington CPS as the best buy.

Click the image to open in full size.
I think that the Redington CPS has been replaced by the CPX.

My wife has an 9'0" 8 wt. CPS and I have a 9'0" 8 wt. CPX. They're both great rods and the only 8 wts. that we have/need. We use them for Striper fishing in the salt and for big Smallmouth Bass in the fresh.

In my opinion, Redington makes a really nice rod in CPS/CPX series. Worth a look.

CPX Fly Fishing Rods | Redington Fly Fishing

Pocono
Old 10-23-2012, 01:42 PM

ted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post

Larry

Tiger Muskies, in my experience, are more like pike in the size of fly you can use. Granted, sometimes it's fun to chuck 1/2 a chicken into a bank and see what happens, but with the Tigers you can probably get away with a 1/4 of a chicken.

I would take a good long look at the flies you plan on casting for the musky though. Like Larry said, depending on the size and water shedding that the flies do, it might be worth looking to a 9wt or even higher.

And that CPS rod that Pocono is talking about is a fantastic rod. I've got one in a 5 wt and wouldn't trade it for anything.
Old 10-23-2012, 02:04 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ted4887 View Post
Granted, sometimes it's fun to chuck 1/2 a chicken into a bank and see what happens, but with the Tigers you can probably get away with a 1/4 of a chicken.
Awesome post...