The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2012, 07:30 AM

vango is on a distinguished road
Default 6 wt for smallmouth and western rivers

I am pretty new at this and getting set up for next season. I have a medium fast rods..3wt Echo carbon, 4wt ZXL, 5 wt Echo carbon, and 8wt Z-Axis. I am fishing the Driftless area, and the Western states..Colorado, Idaho, and bigger rivers in Washington Cascade area next year. My friend out west uses a 6wt. I am wondering what 6wt you all would recommend. I like a good feel and presentation. I have thought about a ZXL 6 wt. I do not know if the Z-axis 8 wt is overkill or not. thanks
Old 10-22-2012, 08:32 AM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 6 wt for smallmouth and western rivers

Unless your heart is set on getting a 6wt, your 5wt should be just fine. Between an 8wt and 5wt you're covered for bass and trout. However, I understand the desire to get more rods!
Old 10-25-2012, 10:58 AM

db cooper has a spectacular aura aboutdb cooper has a spectacular aura about

I agree. My current primary trout and smallmouth rod is a 5wt. If im throwing really big stuff the 7 gets the nod. You have no NEED to get a 6...want is another thing

Last edited by db cooper; 11-26-2012 at 11:20 AM.
Old 10-28-2012, 10:28 PM

Thanks for the great feedback! I agree. There is no need to over do it on rods if a 5 wt is fine for smallies. Sometimes our wants are more tempting than what we really need. Dan
Old 10-29-2012, 04:03 AM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

I also think a 5 wt. will be ok, IF your using a floating line. If you want a sink tip, full sink or a streamer line, a 6 would be better.
Old 10-29-2012, 05:19 AM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

Looks like I'm a voice in the wilderness here, but for big Smallies; like you can get on the Kennebec or Androscoggin Rivers in Maine; fish in the 3-5 lb. range, I like either a 7 wt. or an 8 wt.

I think it depends on the size of the Smallies that you're after and I have no idea how large they'll be in the areas that you plan to fish. But if you already have a 5 wt. and an 8 wt. rod then I think you have the Smallie range covered.

Pocono
Old 10-29-2012, 08:52 AM

db cooper has a spectacular aura aboutdb cooper has a spectacular aura about

The bigger rods have their place to be sure but i typically match the rod weight with fly i will be using. Most of the time with smallmouth (my primary prey) im using smaller flys like buggers, nymphs, mickeys etc. When the fish are hot its easy to catch them on bigger stuff like butt monkeys and circus peanuts but unfortunately the fishing is tough more often than its hot. I can fish the majority of the time with a 5wt more effectively than i can fish the majority of the time with a 7 ymmv.
Old 11-20-2012, 05:35 PM

Thanks to everyone. I find your advice helpful. There is alot to learn but having a community to turn to makes it much easier. Van