The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2012, 06:52 PM

gbanker is just really nicegbanker is just really nicegbanker is just really nicegbanker is just really nice
Default Scott A3 for the salt?

Soliciting comments and thoughts about the suitability of a Scott A3 10 wt for catching permit and baby tarpon. Thanks
Old 10-22-2012, 07:15 PM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Scott A3 for the salt?

Can't help you there, but my go-to rod for big Stripers used to be a 9'0" Scott A3, 9 wt.; plenty of rod for the job. The big ones were running 20-30 lbs, so that should handle the Permit for you; not sure about Baby Tarpon, but I would bet that they'll be in that range, too.

I now use a Scott 9'0" S4S 9 wt. instead of the A3. Totally different rod.

Pocono
Old 10-22-2012, 07:32 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Scott A3 for the salt?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbanker View Post
Soliciting comments and thoughts about the suitability of a Scott A3 10 wt for catching permit and baby tarpon.
It should be fine.