The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2012, 10:48 PM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold
Default Couldnt pass us this deal,,so I have added a new rod

The Clymb had the Redington 'Classic Trout' rods left and put them on sale for 64 dollars once they were discontinued,,renamed,,or whatever. Couldn't pass that up. So i ordered an 8ft ,3wt. It came today,,and man o' man,,wonderful slow action...'almost' a full flex. If it fishes as good as it feels,,,I might not be in the market for that Superfine I been lusting after so long. Should work good from small'ish streams to average size streams for trout. I believe it will lay a dry fly down as soft as if Angels brought it down from Heaven on a pillow of clouds.
mcnerney and noreaster like this.
Old 10-23-2012, 11:14 PM

thewalker1013 has a spectacular aura aboutthewalker1013 has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Couldnt pass us this deal,,so I have added a new rod

Keep us posted on how it fishes! Hope it's everything you've hoped for, I've been looking for a nice little 3 as well
noreaster likes this.
Old 10-24-2012, 06:24 AM

noreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nice

I got that same bug only I bought the 4 wt. CT 8'0". It does have nice flex, Im looking forward to casting a line with it too.

I also have to confess, I am picking up from the post office, a 3 wt. 6'6" Allen Myth that was featured in deal of the week on the Allen site. Salivating as I write.
Old 10-24-2012, 08:23 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Man 'O Man did you score big.
Old 10-24-2012, 08:25 AM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis

I got in on this deal too.. Sweet rods!

Addicted To Vise
Old 10-24-2012, 08:37 AM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

OKAY! I don't like to buy chinese ff'ing products, but now the price is right. Has anyone used the longer CT's? I'm considering a 9' 4wt, but have read that they feel tip heavy. Any real experience would be greatly appreciated.
Old 10-24-2012, 09:04 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

Frank, Stick to your beliefs, follow your instincts and don't be seduced by price. A discount does not make a mediocre rod cast/fish any better.
imxer, FrankB2 and mrfzx like this.
Old 10-24-2012, 11:08 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Good deal...now we want to see pics of this rod bending
Old 10-24-2012, 11:21 AM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankB2 View Post
OKAY! I don't like to buy chinese ff'ing products, but now the price is right. Has anyone used the longer CT's? I'm considering a 9' 4wt, but have read that they feel tip heavy. Any real experience would be greatly appreciated.
Frank...I have a 5 and my wife has a 3...both 8.5 ft. I put light reels on both and have changed them out for heavier reels for balance. I don't find it to be a problem, but I do think they are a little tip heavy.

On the 5wt my intention was to use a BBSII (3.5 oz) and I put on my old Okuma Sierra (4.8 oz) and the Sierra balanced the rod much better IMO. On the 9 footer you might want a reel just over 5 oz for balance.

-Mike
Old 10-24-2012, 04:24 PM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold

Redington's are good working class rods that look good too. You can spend 700 plus for a 'status' rod if you wish but a good fisherman can catch trout with a cut limb and linen thread. I've spent LOTS more for rods, but that has little to do with the fact that I'm satisfied with my Redington's...very satisfied. Plus, I have the other 650 dollars 'plus' still in my wallet.

I have more love for slower action rods than fast actions,,, and the CT fits the bill wonderfully.