The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2012, 09:26 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future
Default Re: Allen rods - ferrells?

Dean, its not neccessarily stronger, its just to have the ferrule flexing along with the rod whereas tip over but tend to feel flat and dead at the ferrule making the tip section feel like it hinges. Atleast that's what I understand, pertaining to glass rods. Graphite, I suppose they same idea applies if a a material like a glass/graphite composite spigot is used.
Old 11-01-2012, 06:53 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean_mt View Post
So let me get this straight. A spigot ferrule is created by cutting a single piece blank and then adding the ferrule over what is the female section of the blank? That is what it sounds like. While a tip over butt ferrule is made by spinning, or building the space into the butt section of the blank?

If I have this right (?) please explain how the spigot is stronger if is indeed an added part to the blank rather than built into it. I don't get it.

I am confused!

thanks.
Stronger... I don't know. The advantage is that the blank pieces match as they started out as one full length blank that was cut.
With tip over butt rods, each section of the blank was rolled separately then the sections are mated.
Personally, I've purchased 3 rod blanks that had sections that were mated incorrectly, but I'm sure that with proper quality control on factory rods this wouldn't happen as often.

Of course rods with spigot ferrules take more steps to build. Think about it. The blank need to be cut and the spigots fitted.
Those steps are eliminated on a tip over butt rod
Old 11-01-2012, 08:10 AM

db cooper has a spectacular aura aboutdb cooper has a spectacular aura about

I dont think they are a cost cutting measure. They take more labor to install and fit. I dont know if they are better but when you see them they are usialy on a fuller flex rod. I dont know if its because they keep the profile more intact by flexing with the rod or what.
Old 11-01-2012, 09:42 AM

evan_aff is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by db cooper View Post
I dont think they are a cost cutting measure. They take more labor to install and fit. I dont know if they are better but when you see them they are usialy on a fuller flex rod. I dont know if its because they keep the profile more intact by flexing with the rod or what.
Thanks, Dennis. Nice to see you around these parts!

Figured I would chime in. Most have already mentioned and discussed the pros/cons of this type of ferrule. I personally prefer this type of ferrule, but at the end of the day, it doesn't make my fishing trip more or less enjoyable. A strong case can be made for the superiority of either style ferrule.

With our newer generations of rods, we have moved away from this type of ferrule system as a result of customer feedback. While we really enjoy this type of ferrule for our personal use, our customers and guides have given us enough feedback in support of the more common, standard ferrule type, that we have decided to move in that direction. Our rods still perform as well as they ever did, so there's no need to worry about loss in performance.

Feel free to contact us if any of you ever have any questions!
info@allenflyfishing.com (Justin)
evan@allenflyfishing.com (Evan)
Old 11-01-2012, 10:19 AM

trout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to behold

Some of you guys are confusing a tip over butt ( that has an unpainted section on the male end of the blank, with a binding wrap separating the painted and unpainted areas. ) as seen on a T.F.O. Pro and some other models for a Spigot ferrule. They are not the same.

TT
Old 11-01-2012, 02:08 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by trout trekker View Post
Some of you guys are confusing a tip over butt ( that has an unpainted section on the male end of the blank, with a binding wrap separating the painted and unpainted areas. ) as seen on a T.F.O. Pro and some other models for a Spigot ferrule. They are not the same.

TT
Sorry about the TT, you are correct on the TFO. I built one last winter and my memory is fuzzy!

A short Q and A (one Question and one Answer) on the subject:
Which Fly Rod Ferrule Is Best? | MidCurrent
noreaster likes this.
Old 11-01-2012, 06:46 PM

db cooper has a spectacular aura aboutdb cooper has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by evan_aff View Post
Thanks, Dennis. Nice to see you around these pa
Not Dennis...just a fan of Mystic rods!
Old 11-02-2012, 12:26 PM

mrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to behold

The TFO TiCrX use spigot ferules too.

---------- Post added at 11:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:23 AM ----------

Am I wrong on the TiCrX....??

There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. ~Patrick F. McManus, Never Sniff a Gift Fish, 1979

Anger is like peeing in your pants: everyone can see it, but only you can feel it. ~Jeff Yalden

Remember: The winner gets to write the history books.
Old 11-02-2012, 01:42 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I just read through this thread again and there's some definite confusion on the different kinds of ferrules....not even counting the metal ones

1) This is a spigot ferrule. A full length blank is cut and a solid fiberglass plug is glued to the interior of one end.

Click the image to open in full size. Click the image to open in full size.

2) The tip over butt is what what's seen most often on modern fly rods.
Each section of the rod blank is rolled on it's own mandrel and then the separate pieces are mated together

Click the image to open in full size.

3) Some rods, like the Eagle Claw Featherlight have a butt over tip ferrule
It makes for a mismatch of a soft tip and heavy butt

4) And just to confuse things even more there's also a sleeve ferrule with a fiberglass cylinder that's glued on over the blank

Old 11-02-2012, 04:15 PM

flymark is on a distinguished road

To muddy the waters further - I just got an Allen Xa 7'6" 3 weight in the mail - and it has these ferrules while the Allen Xa 8' 3 weight blank I got has standard tip-over-butt ferrules. Seems like they switched blank and ferrule designs at some point?