The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Fly Rods (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-rods/)
-   -   Allen rods - ferrells? (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-rods/301016-allen-rods-ferrells.html)

dhayden 10-31-2012 11:52 AM

Allen rods - ferrells?

Can someone post a picture of a Allen rod (Xa if possible) - showing the ferrell connections between sections?

Just got an Xa rod, I'm used to the sections making a tighter connection than this, just want to make sure this is normal..

Thanks, Dave

caseywise 10-31-2012 12:04 PM

Re: Allen rods - ferrells?

the xa series feature spigot ferrules, and they are meant to have that gap.:D

casey

gatortransplant 10-31-2012 12:38 PM

Yep, as Casey said, you're supposed to have the gap with exposed non-glossed blank!

dhayden 10-31-2012 12:59 PM

Thanks very much... i was about to take a little sandpaper to them.. :)

noreaster 10-31-2012 02:09 PM

I read about this. Apparently the spigot ferrules give a more continuous structure to the rod break points thus maximizing performance and taper.

Correct me if I'm wrong guys but isn't this style kinda of like the graphite equivalent of how bamboo rods are ferruled? I don't know, but I like it.:)

dean_mt 10-31-2012 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noreaster (Post 495132)
I read about this. Apparently the spigot ferrules give a more continuous structure to the rod break points thus maximizing performance and taper.

Correct me if I'm wrong guys but isn't this style kinda of like the graphite equivalent of how bamboo rods are ferruled? I don't know, but I like it.:)

I've been told/read that the advantage of this spigot ferrule is over time as the ferrule wears out from use it will still always have enough on the male end of the rod to fit appropriately. I don't know if this is true or not. The "more continuous structure" doesn't make sense to me either, though. It is not that there is more overlap in the ferrule.

At any rate, Winston has been using the spigot ferrule forever. Don't know if they invented it or not.

Hardyreels 10-31-2012 02:36 PM

I think the spigot style ferrule came from the old British bamboo makers and can tell you that the old Hardy Graphites used this type joint.

Liphookedau 10-31-2012 03:03 PM

It's a good system which many Rod Makers have used over the years,I've had a 2 piece Rod with a Spigot type ferrule for well over 20 years which still gets plenty of use even though I have many other Rods as well,it has always had the exposed section of The Blank & still goes together perfectly.
If it had Brass Ferrules it would have been loose & changed a long time ago as I remember my Father changing Ferrules on his Split Cane Rods.
Although they don't look as good as the latest ones if I had used my modern Rods 3,4 & 5 piece as much some of The Male sections of The Ferrules would have to have been built up.
Brian

Rip Tide 10-31-2012 03:32 PM

I'm pretty sure that Hardy was the first to use spigot ferrules on fiberglass rods sometime in the mid 60s and Winston (Fisher) didn't get into it until many years later. Late 70s maybe.
The advantage to spigot ferrule rods is that they're made from a single continuous blank. Rods with tip over butt ferrules became popular because they're easier to mass produce and take less steps to build.

db cooper 10-31-2012 07:01 PM

Scott uses these on the G series and as stated others have as well. I have seen them on rods as inexpensive as the cabelas CGR.