The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2012, 11:52 AM

dhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to behold
Default Allen rods - ferrells?

Can someone post a picture of a Allen rod (Xa if possible) - showing the ferrell connections between sections?

Just got an Xa rod, I'm used to the sections making a tighter connection than this, just want to make sure this is normal..

Thanks, Dave
Old 10-31-2012, 12:04 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise
Default Re: Allen rods - ferrells?

the xa series feature spigot ferrules, and they are meant to have that gap.

casey
Hardyreels and mrfzx like this.

ARFE
Old 10-31-2012, 12:38 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

Yep, as Casey said, you're supposed to have the gap with exposed non-glossed blank!

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 10-31-2012, 12:59 PM

dhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to behold

Thanks very much... i was about to take a little sandpaper to them..
Old 10-31-2012, 02:09 PM

noreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nice

I read about this. Apparently the spigot ferrules give a more continuous structure to the rod break points thus maximizing performance and taper.

Correct me if I'm wrong guys but isn't this style kinda of like the graphite equivalent of how bamboo rods are ferruled? I don't know, but I like it.
Old 10-31-2012, 02:18 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by noreaster View Post
I read about this. Apparently the spigot ferrules give a more continuous structure to the rod break points thus maximizing performance and taper.

Correct me if I'm wrong guys but isn't this style kinda of like the graphite equivalent of how bamboo rods are ferruled? I don't know, but I like it.
I've been told/read that the advantage of this spigot ferrule is over time as the ferrule wears out from use it will still always have enough on the male end of the rod to fit appropriately. I don't know if this is true or not. The "more continuous structure" doesn't make sense to me either, though. It is not that there is more overlap in the ferrule.

At any rate, Winston has been using the spigot ferrule forever. Don't know if they invented it or not.
Hardyreels and noreaster like this.
Old 10-31-2012, 02:36 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I think the spigot style ferrule came from the old British bamboo makers and can tell you that the old Hardy Graphites used this type joint.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 10-31-2012, 03:03 PM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold

It's a good system which many Rod Makers have used over the years,I've had a 2 piece Rod with a Spigot type ferrule for well over 20 years which still gets plenty of use even though I have many other Rods as well,it has always had the exposed section of The Blank & still goes together perfectly.
If it had Brass Ferrules it would have been loose & changed a long time ago as I remember my Father changing Ferrules on his Split Cane Rods.
Although they don't look as good as the latest ones if I had used my modern Rods 3,4 & 5 piece as much some of The Male sections of The Ferrules would have to have been built up.
Brian
noreaster likes this.
Old 10-31-2012, 03:32 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I'm pretty sure that Hardy was the first to use spigot ferrules on fiberglass rods sometime in the mid 60s and Winston (Fisher) didn't get into it until many years later. Late 70s maybe.
The advantage to spigot ferrule rods is that they're made from a single continuous blank. Rods with tip over butt ferrules became popular because they're easier to mass produce and take less steps to build.
mrfzx, db cooper and noreaster like this.
Old 10-31-2012, 07:01 PM

db cooper has a spectacular aura aboutdb cooper has a spectacular aura about

Scott uses these on the G series and as stated others have as well. I have seen them on rods as inexpensive as the cabelas CGR.