The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree49Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2013, 09:04 PM

zug buggin has a spectacular aura aboutzug buggin has a spectacular aura aboutzug buggin has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: What's the worst fly rod you've ever had?

The worst rod(s) I've ever had excluding cheap rods are almost every St Croix rod I've ever had. I'm a medium action guy and the St Croixs are rated at least one sometimes more categories slower than they really are. I even bought a Avid advertised as a medium action rod, I had to overline it by a full line size to get it to medium action. I do admit now that its over lined it casts great. I realize that St Croixs are great quality rods I just hate the way they measure the action of their rods. I would classify a new action for most of their products called "Broomstick". I wish the industry would come up with a reliable scale of rating actions so a medium or fast action is the same across the board.
pete a likes this.
Old 01-06-2013, 07:13 AM

pete a has a spectacular aura aboutpete a has a spectacular aura aboutpete a has a spectacular aura about

Zug;

Really like your discussion as I have too many rods that take over-lining to get a good feel our of them, for instance a 6wt Axiom that does well with a 7wt but can sling an 8wt Bass Bug but feels dead with less than 75' of 6wt out..

I feel before long the worship at the alter of fast rods will fade and we'll see more & more moderate rods out there.

Pete A.
Old 01-06-2013, 08:01 AM

moucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete a View Post
Zug;

Really like your discussion as I have too many rods that take over-lining to get a good feel our of them, for instance a 6wt Axiom that does well with a 7wt but can sling an 8wt Bass Bug but feels dead with less than 75' of 6wt out..

I feel before long the worship at the alter of fast rods will fade and we'll see more & more moderate rods out there.

Pete A.
I have a 6 weight TFO TiCrX that I would describe the same way. (Heavier than it needs to be, too.) I wouldn't put it in a "worst rods" pile, though. It's just rated for the wrong line. In the right situations it shines, even though it's not the all-rounder I was hoping it would be.
Old 01-06-2013, 05:59 PM

zug buggin has a spectacular aura aboutzug buggin has a spectacular aura aboutzug buggin has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by moucheur2003 View Post
I have a 6 weight TFO TiCrX that I would describe the same way. (Heavier than it needs to be, too.) I wouldn't put it in a "worst rods" pile, though. It's just rated for the wrong line. In the right situations it shines, even though it's not the all-rounder I was hoping it would be.
I have a TFO TiCrX also in 8wt and it is very fast action but it was advertised as that so I knew what I was buying. I use it for throwing really big streamers to trout, I hope to take it to the coast and do get in a little salt action also. My issue isn't really with St Croix its with the industry not having a standerized method of measuring actions so rod models can be compared apples to apples