The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree49Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2012, 06:09 AM

nickj is a jewel in the roughnickj is a jewel in the roughnickj is a jewel in the roughnickj is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: What's the worst fly rod you've ever had?

7ft, 5 w Hardy Palakona. It was so stiff it would have made a good surf casting rod, or a great jack handle.
fredaevans likes this.
Old 11-02-2012, 06:54 AM

db cooper has a spectacular aura aboutdb cooper has a spectacular aura about

Fenwick ff908 and Fenwick FF85

I honestly believe these rods are the reason i have tendonitis in my right hand/wrist. Like swinging a 2x4.

I know we have a lot of glass fans around here but the bigger glass rods were really horrible imho.
Old 11-02-2012, 07:17 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I happen to know quite a bit about crappy fly rods as I've owned more than my fair share.
I could name 10 easily but I'll keep it short.

The first fly rod that I owned was a 9' Japanese cane rod that cost $3. It was way too heavy for a little kid and I couldn't cast it for $#!+.
When that rod broke in 1968, I started using my father's old blue Conolon. That one was only a slight step up, but I still have it and am able to compare it's qualities so I know that it's not the very worst in my collection.
Another "what the f*** were they thinking" rod is a 25** series Garcia 6'6", 6wt. I've had this rod forever and still can't figure it out. I've thought about trying a 7wt line on it but a 6'6" 7wt ???? why bother ?

But the winner is easily a 8'6" Berkly Performa IM-6, 5-6wt. that I bought on a trip after busting the 6wt that I brought.
There really has to be something wrong with this rod.
I've fished it a lot trying to figure that out and finally just took the tip-top off so that I wouldn't use it anymore.
It looks like a decent rod and it's not the cheapest I've ever bought, but it's so bad that I won't even give it away for fear that the recipient would think that fly casting is so difficult that they should give it up.

DB.... I have two 8wts and one 9wt glass that I like very much. The 9' Orvis Golden Eagle is way too heavy for all day use, but casts beautifully. With the other 2, rod weight is not an issue and they both can really throw a line.
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 11-02-2012, 08:02 AM

brookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to behold

I'd have to say it would either be the World Wide Sportsman Gold Cup or the White River 270 - both BPS brands

The 270 was vague and broke twice on me. There was absolutely no feel from that thing.

The Gold Cup was like casting a broomstick. On top of that, it was heavy as could be. I had it for 6 hours before I returned it.
Old 11-02-2012, 09:38 AM

mrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to behold

I too will vote for my 9wt ugly stik. It was a christmas present when I was a teenager from my good-intentioned mother. I think it is the reason I wear a size 54 suit jacket now! I am not sure of its weight, but it has to be pushing the pound mark....with a swing weight somewhere near a bowling ball on the end of a cue stick....except the ugly stik is more limber. I kept the rod because it was a gift from Mom, and no matter what the rod is or isn't, it was from her.

There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. ~Patrick F. McManus, Never Sniff a Gift Fish, 1979

Anger is like peeing in your pants: everyone can see it, but only you can feel it. ~Jeff Yalden

Remember: The winner gets to write the history books.
Old 11-02-2012, 10:23 AM

trout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to behold

As much as Iíd like too play along on this one, it would be at the cost of another anglers pride in their gear.

I will say this though, anyone who truly believes itís hard to find a bad fly rod nowadays, just isnít trying.

TT
imxer, Hardyreels, Pocono and 5 others like this.
Old 11-02-2012, 03:40 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

it has to be an 8'6" 5 wt. st. croix noodle POS that i had when i was in high school. cant remember the model, but it was like trying to cast a fly with a soggy loaf of wonder bread
no fun at all

casey

ARFE
Old 11-02-2012, 04:03 PM

flymark is on a distinguished road

Toss up. I had a "Custom Made" branded 6 weight rod made by WW Grigg that was a real club. Horrible action, nasty foam handle. Swung like a club and I couldn't cast more than 20 feet with it.

Also in the running - a South Bend Crystal River 5/6 weight - stiff as a pool cue, crappy foam handle. It would put out a 30 foot cast, but not much else. These were my first two fly rods I ever purchased when I was 15/16 years old. The $20 Eagle Claw featherlights that you buy now are 2000 times better than those rods were.
Old 11-02-2012, 04:18 PM

yonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the rough

I vote for the martin combo that you can find at wally world......I really didn't know how bad it was until I "upgraded" to a 7'6" cortland grf-1000!!! My son was fishing the martin one day and wanted to try the cortland....he was about 13 or so at the time.......he loved the medium action of the cortland....when he went back to cast the martin....he paused in mid-cast and looked up at the rod like it was broken.....it was really that stiff....I knew then and there that I would be making a trip to the local sporting goods store to buy another cortland......we still fish these rods on occasion 13 years later........

Here I walk slowly, deliberately, taking it one step, one trout, one sunset at a time. -Harry Middleton
Old 11-02-2012, 10:38 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

Pete, I have to tell you I like this thread, great starter!

I've only owned 5 fly rods in my 17 years of fly fishing. My first outfit was certainly ****; an Eagle Claw rod I bought at a mostly hardware oriented store...but I knew nothing else. I saved up, drooling over an Orvis Far and Fine and finally bought it, 7'11" 4wt and that's the rod I really learned to fish on. I'm a slow action guy because of it.

So of the 5 rods I've owned, and only 3 I still possess (I sold that Far and Fine and still kick myself for it)...and fish with, my 6wt - a Sage VPS - is my bane. I really dislike the rod. It's heavy and I have no feel for it. I rarely use it but keep it because it's my 'big' rod. I really should over line it with a 7wt line...but I don't want a 7wt trout rod.

To me, it's a dog. And for full disclosure, my all of my rods are Sage's so I'm not dogging the company. But damn that thing is a broom stick my hands.

Sorry -- didn't know that cr@p was a bad word.