The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree49Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2012, 12:41 AM

thewalker1013 has a spectacular aura aboutthewalker1013 has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: What's the worst fly rod you've ever had?

My dad bought an 8'6" 5 wt TFO Signature Series, one of the first that TFO made... That thing was awful. He handed it to me to have as a backup, and I used it once and sold it on eBay. It was pretty darn worthless... I was used to using stiff 5's as I fished a 9' 5wt XP for many years as my go-to rod, but this thing was terrible

No offense to anyone who likes these, I fully understand that I was spoiled by a father who knew great rods... Can't blame him one bit, but sure makes it tough to fish crummy rods
Old 11-03-2012, 08:10 AM

bradyb will become famous soon enoughbradyb will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean_mt View Post

So of the 5 rods I've owned, and only 3 I still possess (I sold that Far and Fine and still kick myself for it)...and fish with, my 6wt - a Sage VPS - is my bane. I really dislike the rod. It's heavy and I have no feel for it. I rarely use it but keep it because it's my 'big' rod. I really should over line it with a 7wt line...but I don't want a 7wt trout rod.

To me, it's a dog. And for full disclosure, my all of my rods are Sage's so I'm not dogging the company. But damn that thing is a broom stick my hands.
This is interesting. I believe the VPS are the same rod as the RPL, which many a flycaster loved. My 5 wt. VPS is one of my favorite rods. Never heard the VPS or RPL described as a dog or broom stick.
Old 11-03-2012, 08:13 AM

dillon has a spectacular aura aboutdillon has a spectacular aura about

Never had a bad one. Why bother?
Old 11-03-2012, 08:20 AM

moucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the rough

7' 5 wt Browning Silaflex fiberglass. Might as well stick a brush on the end of it and sweep the floor.

On second thought, I take that back. My father-in-law left me his old 9' Horrocks-Ibbotson split cane rod with "wet fly" action. The thing had a set in it and was as limp as a wet noodle.
imxer and noreaster like this.
Old 11-03-2012, 11:21 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

Like Dillon above, I have test cast most of my rods pre-acquisition and rejected those that were clearly dogs. However, sometimes rods come along that are so highly recommended or gifted and there you are, on the water, wondering who came up with this design? Many in this thread have commented on clear junkers but I will leave those sleeping dogs lie and refer only to rods that are supposed to be good. And maybe are, in someone else's hands. Who remembers mid 1980's Orvis Boron-Graphite? They were not the first nor last composits of these two incompatible materials. The first were Rodon blanks which were good rods which had like 10% Boron in them so Orvis figured, heck, we can beat that! With 60 to 80% Boron, these rods gave a new definition to "stiff". Not "Tip Flex", more like no flex. OK, in fairness these were the most powerful big fish fighting rods of their day but were horrible to cast. At the other end of the spectrum but still a boron graphite composit, Winston's BIIx 8 1/2'/#4 of about 10 years ago was ballyhooed as the best spring creek dry fly wand yet. Pretty and made in Montana, I had to have one and it's acquisition preceded the divorce of the Boo Boys from Winston so I had nothing but positive feelings at that time toward the Twin Bridges based rod maker. But as soon as I took my first cast on a beloved western spring creek I realized some adjustments were required. Either I had to learn to fish technical water with butt-flexing slow, open looped, low line speed presentations or Winston had to redesign the taper of this rod. Time has passed and crisper more responsive BIIIx has replaced that looser and lots of other rods in that size and intent range have eclipsed that disappointment. Lastly I will echo the few expressions above and lament the day a TFO 8'9"/#5 wound up on a great eastern river in the hands of my wife. It had been a generous gift to her and, as the Orvis Western of exactly the same size was a favorite of mine back in the day, I looked forward to trying it. She complained she was having trouble with the new rod and a very experienced friend who was fishing with us tried it and pronounced it un-fishable...I agreed. Come spring we will play with it with perhaps a #4 or 4.5 line but I am not optimistic. I have cast other bad rods but I am going to limit my provocative exposure to these three.

Last edited by sweetandsalt; 11-03-2012 at 01:25 PM.
Old 11-03-2012, 12:28 PM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of

I have a Berkley "Expert" kit rod that I bought several years ago for my kids to use. Rated for a 6 wt line. An 8 wt line works a bit better on it, as it's quite stiff.
As it came it did not cast very well at all, and the reel that came with it had a bad habit of pinching the line between the spool & the frame. I've never had a rod that I couldn't fish with, and this one with a heavier line & Okuma reel is now an OK rod, but one of my least favorite when I'm choosing.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 11-03-2012, 01:16 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradyb View Post
This is interesting. I believe the VPS are the same rod as the RPL, which many a flycaster loved. My 5 wt. VPS is one of my favorite rods. Never heard the VPS or RPL described as a dog or broom stick.
I've never cast an RPL so I can't tell you about the similarity. I never meant to say this is a bad rod, I just have never learned to handle it. I prefer the slower action of the SPL and the VPS is just too fast for me. And it feels heavy. That's all.
Old 11-03-2012, 02:22 PM

coug will become famous soon enoughcoug will become famous soon enough

Geez, this thread makes me feel a bit lucky on my rod selection! I've had rods I did not necessarily fall in love with so sold them after some time to get something else, but I can't say I've had a rod I really didn't like, except maybe one. I still have a 9' 8 wt Winston BIIx that I do not enjoy that much, seems to have too soft of tip for me, but I figure that is just me. I tried selling it last year because I use spey rods now for steelhead, but nobody wanted it.
Old 11-03-2012, 10:42 PM

cowpokey is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by brookfieldangler View Post
I'd have to say it would either be the World Wide Sportsman Gold Cup or the White River 270 - both BPS brands

The 270 was vague and broke twice on me. There was absolutely no feel from that thing.

The Gold Cup was like casting a broomstick. On top of that, it was heavy as could be. I had it for 6 hours before I returned it.
I'm surprised by this. I have a 6wt 270 and a 9wt Gold Cup, I think they're o.k. Although, I rarely use either of them, I just prefer UL; 3wt and under.

For me it would be along the same line as the other bargain "outfits" mentioned. I wonder how many people decided fly fishing wasn't for them after trying to start off with that garbage.
Old 11-04-2012, 01:37 AM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

You know, honestly, I can't say that I have a bad rod. I do have rods that are more challenging to cast using my natural casting stroke than others and I have rods that work well for one condition, but don't work at all in others.

But, given that I like to experiment with casting styles and finding the right application for different rods, I don't really have any complaints. And this includes the first fly rod that I ever had; a 1959 Montgomery Wards Hawthorne 7'1", 2 pc., solid glass rod. Described by some as a "noodle rod", I find that it's not bad at distances of 35' of less, paired with an old Pflueger Medalist 1495 loaded with about 40 pieces of #3 shot..................

Pocono

Last edited by Pocono; 11-04-2012 at 04:02 PM.