The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree49Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2012, 08:20 PM

pete a has a spectacular aura aboutpete a has a spectacular aura aboutpete a has a spectacular aura about
Default What's the worst fly rod you've ever had?

We often speak of our best rod but what about the other side? I'm not really wanting to discuss factory/warranty/service issues but just performance dogs.

Mine was a 9' 9wt Shakespeare Ugly stick. I've yet to see a rod wobble after the cast as long and vigorously as this beast. It was quite heavy, unresponsive but for some reason I fell in love with it at the old Delhomme's in Houston in '81. Just had to have it.

Aim was to match this bruiser with one of large marauding jacks (jack Crevalle) we'd been seeing/hooking/losing that summer. Seemed like the perfect hard headed rod for a hard header figher that these jacks are.

We went wade fishing behind San Luis pass on a pretty windy day with a good looking in coming green tide. All was set for the perfect result.

The rod won the fight for sure & I was it's quarry. My line was all over the place, but seemed mostly about 3/4" from my ear. It didn't like long casts and was poor on short ones too. Maybe my arms just didn't have the moxie for that rod, shoulder was sore and my stringer empty. I do say though it looked "cool" with my Pfleuger 1498 full of line & backing and that clear tip on the end.

Luckly found a fellow who thought it should be just the thing for minnow fishing for crappie. Recouped some minor portion of my investment and my arm healed quickly. Replaced it with a Orvis Fullflex 9' 9wt which is among my favorite rods even after 30+ years.

Pete A.
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 11-01-2012, 08:30 PM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future
Default Re: What's the worst fly rod you've ever had?

TFO Finesse 1wt.

Don't get me wrong I like slower rods , but this was so slow , combined with 1wt fly line I couldn't cast it more than 10 feet if there was anything greater than a 2mph breeze.

I tried the faster TXL 1wt and the Elkhorn 1wt and they were fine.

Please don't take this as a bash on TFO,I would buy a TFO rod again in a second (just not the finesse 1wt)
Old 11-01-2012, 08:49 PM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

Cabela's Three Forks rods. I have owned 3 of them, broke 2 of them. One of them broke from riding in the bed of the truck, no idea what happened with the other ones but I somehow only have a butt section to one left. I just dont like them at all. the feel dead and are way to stiff for their own good.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 11-01-2012, 09:39 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hi Pete,

My first rod was a 6 and 2/3 foot Ike Walton solid fiber glass and was not a good fly rod. I don't remember the cost but they were not much. It was the basis for a story that I posted here; http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/fo...overnight.html The story took two entries so I'll post part 2 for any who may be interested; http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/fo...-part-two.html

I have had the pleasure of learning from 3 rods of equally bad casting properties, the second was a 9' South Bend bamboo that must have wanted a 12 weight line because I was never able to get it to bend using a #7 but it didn't end there. In 1978 Fenwick was selling an HMG graphite five weight and since I couldn't afford an Orvis and had been satisfied with Fenwick fiber glass I bought one. They were $99.99 and I was never able to figure that rod out. Never did I find the niche that it was good for so in 1979 I traded it and $275 more for the Orvis 5 weight Far & Fine I fish with today. After owning the Far & Fine I was much better able to identify a good casting rod from one that was not. Sometimes it is quite true that we must 'Live & Learn'

BTW, I still have that Ike Walton rod

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 11-01-2012, 11:01 PM

newby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of light

Cabela's Three Forks. I think it was a 8'6" 4wt. That thing was honestly so stiff and unresponsive that it cast 6wt line better than 4wt. I hated the thing.

On the other hand my current favorite rod is a TFO Finesse 2wt (or my TFO BVK). It had some terrible line on it and casting past 25 feet was awful, but then I got a new SA Supra, fairly cheap, and it turned it into a new rod. Still a small stream rod but 40 foot casts are no problem. Difference between it and the cabelas is night and day.
Old 11-02-2012, 01:47 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

I found a WW Grigg 8 weight rod on clearance at The Sports Authority several years back. For $40, I figured it could be a backup. When I decided to do some practice casting, it broke at a ferrule.

WWG replaced the rod for me. I ended up giving the replacement to a friend.

Dennis
Old 11-02-2012, 04:24 AM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Joni got a St. Croix Rio Santo (I think that's the model) in a 6 wt. traded some flies for it I think. If the guy would have only gotten one fly, he came out miles ahead. That was the worst clubby feeling rod I've ever fished with. It felt heavy, unbalanced and just not right.
Old 11-02-2012, 05:20 AM

noreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nice

Not that much experience with crappy rods. Would say my wife's 5 wt. Superfly combo from Wally World. No surprises there. That thing was like casting stew. Mushy and floppy. Happy to report she'll be upgrading for the spring.
Old 11-02-2012, 05:38 AM
sbreech

It's a toss up between the two rods I got when I first started fly fishing a few years back - either the Pflueger telephone pole 6 weight that came as a kit or the Allen 5wt that I picked up shortly after at a pawn shop to replace it. They started my addiction, and I'll give them that credit.
Old 11-02-2012, 05:51 AM

plecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of light

In thinking about this I found it hard to separate the rods from the memories of what I was doing with the rod.

The rods I had for a lot of years were whatever I could afford at the time, meaning 'cheap'. Still, I had a lot of fun and caught a lot of fish with them. I still have an old fiberglass rod. If I cast it now, it feels like I'm casting with a club.

I think because I always used whatever I had around, I adapted my casting to whatever the rod in my hand would do. I still do that even though I can now afford good rods.

I guess I've never said "This thing is junk. I need something else." I just have fun with what I have.