The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2012, 01:41 PM

nightfly is on a distinguished road
Default Sage Flight, TFO TiCrX, or BVK...for pike

I want to purchase a fast rod for pike. Currently i have a Fenwick 8 wt med-fast rod, but i want to change tracks
I've put my eyes on these 3 rods: 9wt from Sage , and 8wt from TFO, both of them; BVK and TiCrX. What do you think, or if you have one of these rods, and if you use them for pike...i'm open for all

Thanks a lot.
Old 11-03-2012, 01:58 PM

mudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Sage Flight, TFO TiCrX, or BVK...for pike

I was trying to decide between an 8wt TiCrX or a BVK recently for pike, bass, and for fishing Puerto Penasco. I chose a BVK and I truly love it for all of that, but if I was just gonna use it for chucking large pike flies I would have gone with a TiCrX or even an AXIOM over lined by 1 line weight.

Check Ebay for deals on all of those.

One cool think about the 8 wt TiCrX is that later you can buy a conversion kit for $150 that turns it into an 11 foot 2 hander.
Old 11-03-2012, 02:02 PM

chased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to behold

All of them work. I would lean towards one of the TFOs. The BVK seems to get a lot of praise in the 8wt model. I have a 9wt TiCr X, all I can say is that it is super fast and can throw half a chicken if asked to. Here is a comparison of a lot of 8wt rods. 8weightshootout.saltwaterflyrodreview.flyrod.compa rison.flyrodtest.LoomisNRX.HardyProAxis.BVK.St.Cro ix.LegendElite.SageXi3

-Chase
Old 11-03-2012, 02:18 PM

Okay. I also would go with the BVK, but...i have a pin on my back on this. On their site, they mention the Lifting section, which classified the BVK, in the "Less" category.
I intend to use the rod in the Danube Delta (Romania), and in Serbia, where the lakes are covered with vegetation, and if the pike comes with a green garniture...i might need some help
Old 11-03-2012, 02:33 PM

Sep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of light

So, while we're talking TFO, I'll toss another idea in. The Clouser. I casted one this spring and was very impressed.

I have a 7wt BVK and an 8wt Axiom and I am very pleased with them both. I know that comparing the two is comparing tangerines and oranges, but I think the Axiom is more of a horse while I have more touch (and I snicker at the notion that I have "touch") with the BVK.

I'd sure like to spend more time with a Clouser, though. Trade show casting pools just ain't good enough.

Sep
Old 11-03-2012, 07:40 PM

pete a has a spectacular aura aboutpete a has a spectacular aura aboutpete a has a spectacular aura about

I have the Flight and sold a BVK after I bought it. I liked the BVK but for me it was not very accomodationg rod if I had to cast below 30'. I also didn't care for the minimalist reel seat, I don't travle with reel on rod. The tiny rings are hard to tighten with wet/cold fingers.

The Flight just seems a better balance of speed/distance and good manners with closer casts. Like the reel seat with the polymer portion withing the rings.

Can't prove it but seems "stronger/backbone" for when/if I have to clamp down on the line and horse a fish out of the weeds. I find myslef doing this wadefishing for redfish and specks. No experience fishing for pike but I'd bet taht situation would be common. I've heard this is where the TiCrX shines.

Having said all that the BVK is a fine rod, I could not afford to own both.

You can still find the Flights on sale in the net for almost same price as the BVK.

Pete A.
Old 11-03-2012, 09:37 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

If you want a casting stick, err towards a BVK or Flight.

If you want a fighting stick, go with the TiCrX. It has more backbone in the butt section which is great for lifting or changing a fish's direction.

Dennis
Old 11-03-2012, 09:47 PM

delopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the rough

I have a BVK 10wt with the BVK Reel and SA Titan Taper. If you're looking for some serious distance, to get your fly back in the water and fishing again, I can honestly say that, with a dalhberg diver, it only takes a couple of false casts to get that fly back out around 70'. The 10wt is a rocket and seems like a great weight for muskie/pike! That's just my suggestion...

On another note, you might look up Flying Pig Rods. According to Diver Dan (feel free to quote me if I'm wrong) the ERN on the Flying Pig liquid 8wt is 9.66? That would be a serious bug launcher and at around $200, you can't beat it! I would assume that with an ERN like that, that fighting those hogs would be a breeze!
Old 11-05-2012, 01:26 AM

OK. Thanks for responses, advices, info.
It seems that the TiCrX gets the votes
Anything else to recommend for pike, around 200$, in the 8, 9 wt category, and of course fast action?
Old 11-05-2012, 08:16 AM

socorrofly is on a distinguished road

Nightfly,

What size water(s) are you fishing and how large are the fish? Might as well maximize your fun for the money.

I love a lightweight rod with enough backbone to handle a nice one.

Gary