The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2012, 09:38 PM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future
Default 6WT Orvis Hydros tip flex, is it the rod or me ?

So I have a tip flex 9' 6WT Hydros. The rod seems very fast and stout. So my question is I have used it once and that was this year during Salmonfly hatch. I was running a triple rig. Size 6 salmon fly with a size 8 dropper. The dropper was a size 8 rubber leg Hot Wire brassie. Below that I was hanging a size 10 tungsten prince nymph. The rod handled the weight of the triple rig fine but I kept busting fish off. I was using new 4x leader and tippet and the fish I landed were between 13-16" browns. This was in the Colorado river so I know there are bigger ones in there.

I know I tend to be a little hammer handed when I set the hook. Do any of you have the same problem with the tip flex hydros or was it me or the leader ?

Reason I ask is I am going to the S. Platte this week to chase big browns. My buddy caught a 30" brown there last week. Yes it really was 30", it was measured. I don't want to run the risk of busting one of those guys off.

"Snap it" Hank Patterson
Old 11-03-2012, 09:48 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 6WT Orvis Hydros tip flex, is it the rod or me ?

6/3 = 2
8/3 = 2.67
10/3 = 3.33

For the sizes of the flies used, you were too light. Your main leader body should had been 2x. The tippet sections should had been 3x. With all that payload, I would not be surprised if the larger flies being whipped around weakened your knots.

Dennis
Old 11-04-2012, 08:14 AM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future

Perfect thank you,

I like the rod a lot and have had it 2 years and only used it once. I will make sure to get some 2 and 3 X next time it is Salmon Fly season. This week we will be using the typical size 14-18 so I will be all set with 4 and 5x

Come to think of it, every bust off was right at the knot

"Snap it" Hank Patterson
Old 11-05-2012, 02:43 PM

moucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the rough

I agree with MP. I have that rod, and love it, and haven't had those problems, but I fish with smaller flies. Bigger flies generally do call for stouter leaders.

Alternatively, if all of your breakoffs were at the knots, you may be tying them wrong. Make sure you moisten the knots with saliva or knot lubricant before you cinch them down, then give them a few sharp tugs before casting so that if they're going to break, they break in your hand.

Finally, a bad spool of tippet is another possibility. I was once on a salmon fishing trip in Canada and must have broken off five or six nice fish in a row over a couple of days before I thought to switch the brand-new spool of "salmon/steelhead" tippet I had bought for the trip with an old spool of "saltwater/striper" tippet I found in my duffel. Problem solved. The new spool must have been from a bad batch.

If all else fails, try looping a "bunjee butt" between your fly line and leader butt. It's a looped leader butt with a stretchy rubber section to dampen the shock of hard strikes. Not all fly shops carry it, but here's one that does:

http://store.hookhack.com/Bunjee-But...tinfo/HHBSBUT/