The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2012, 09:53 AM

wishiniwerfishin will become famous soon enoughwishiniwerfishin will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Backup Rods

I'm always fishing from a boat so back up rods are no problem. I usually have 6 or so rods in a few different weights with different lines ready to go when I fish. I never let a broken rod end my day, but it always puts a damper on it when one does break(which has only happened twice, and it was the same rod both times).
Old 11-05-2012, 10:41 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

Sometimes one of the alterantive rods turns out to be the right rod for the river's level, wind or hatch. Untill I was about 20, I owned but one fly rod and reel; a Sewell Duntun 8' HDH and Medalist reel. Today, with a gray beard, when my wife and I go bonefishing, we might have 6 to 8 rods on the boat with back-ups at the lodge.
Old 11-05-2012, 10:53 AM

bradyb will become famous soon enoughbradyb will become famous soon enough

My home river is 15 minutes from doorstep to standing in the water, so no back up. Any other river gets a back up.
Old 11-05-2012, 12:19 PM

trout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to behold

"American Express - Don’t leave home without it. "
Consider the traveling, single rod angler as part of an overall economic stimulus package for destination fly shops.

Looking back at this past year, it’s hard to believe that my wife and I together or independently spent just over 260 nights on the road, all of that while carrying only one to two rods each ( Of differing weights ).

Only when we were together, did we carry a back up rod and then, just one to cover us both. My comfort level with this comes from knowing that I’ve broken exactly three of my fly rods in over forty years of fly fishing, guiding and leading group travel and always having some plastic in my wallet.

TT
Old 11-05-2012, 03:23 PM

moucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the rough

I usually carry a couple of different rods because I don't know what river conditions I might find. A different size rod can also double as a back-up spare. It's a lot quicker and cheaper to trudge back to the car to get another rod than drive back to the fly shop to buy a new one.

Especially when I'm getting on a plane to spend a few days fishing in some destination where there is no convenient tackle shop nearby, I will always pack spares.

I will often bring only one rod if I'm only going out for a few hours to some familiar nearby spot, though.

I have only ever broken two rods: one tip snapped in my hand while stringing it up at home before I ever fished with it; the other was the victim of my father's inattentiveness while rolling up a car window. The first was replaced under warranty, so no harm, no foul. The second was on a day when I had not brought a backup, but luckily the factory was only 10 miles up the road. They swapped out the section and I was back on the water without too much down time, but the lesson I learned was that even the most reliable rod in the world is no match for user error.