The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2012, 02:41 PM

plecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of light
Default Backup Rods

I've read a number of posts here in various threads about how a day's (or worse, a big trip's) fishing ended when a rod broke.

Don't people carry backup rods? Even if I'm fishing a few miles from home, I always have at least two, usually three, rods with me.

I guess I'm used to auto racing where we carry spare everything. The old adage that 'whatever you have a spare for never breaks', isn't true.
Old 11-04-2012, 02:43 PM

chi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Backup Rods

I always carry multiple back up rods. But I didn't used to... I didn't used to have multiple rods.
noreaster likes this.
Old 11-04-2012, 03:00 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

When I'm on a fishing trip, I bring multiple rods "just in case"
When I'm on a non-fishing trip I bring along a single rod "just in case"
Old 11-04-2012, 03:11 PM

noreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nice

It wasn't until recently that I had the luxury of a back up rod. Now the quiver is stocked so I won't be caught without a spare.
Old 11-04-2012, 04:07 PM

jcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nice

I always have 2 with me. My case will hold two 4 piece rods with reels attached. Be prepared, I can now that I own multiple fly rods.
Old 11-04-2012, 05:02 PM

rockriver is a name known to allrockriver is a name known to allrockriver is a name known to allrockriver is a name known to allrockriver is a name known to allrockriver is a name known to all

Probably for the same reason most people don't take an extra rifle or bow on that hunting trip. Your comfortable with what you have and believe in it; so, why spend the extra money when it can go for something else?
Old 11-04-2012, 05:11 PM

plecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of light

Funny you should mention the hunting trip.
I went to the Bob Marshall Wilderness to hunt elk. There was another hunter in a nearby camp. He had a left-handed Weatherby MK V .270. Something was wrong with the bolt assembly.
This guy was screwed. Nobody else had a left-handed rifle to lend him. He finally used a right-handed rifle, but was a real unhappy camper.
Why he didn't bring something else, anything else, is beyond me.
(Before anyone asks, I had my primary Weatherby .300 and another rifle, an iron-sight .358, plus a muzzle-loader.)
Old 11-04-2012, 07:11 PM

golfnfish will become famous soon enough

When I'm fishing on a day trip close to home I rarely take a back up rod. The most I'll be is 1 hr or less from my house so it wouldn't be a big deal if something happened to the rod I've taken. I hope I don't jinx myself but I've never had a problem with a rod on any daytrips. Any overnight trips away from home I always take a few rods and reels with me.
horseman_37601 likes this.
Old 11-04-2012, 07:22 PM

thewalker1013 has a spectacular aura aboutthewalker1013 has a spectacular aura about

I make sure I have at least one backup, and if I go with wife or a buddy who only has one rod, I'll bring two backups. You just never know what's going to happen...

They may not be perfect backups for the given situation, but they'll do a heck of a lot more than nothing. My buddy broke his rod on a trip, so I gave him my Sage 599 to fish. My backup that day was my Sage 4711 LL, the wind was howling, and we were throwing pretty heavy, multi-fly rigs with some weight.

I cursed all day fighting my gear, but I fished (and got out-fished).

Sometimes better to let a pal have the right ammo... I basically fished half the time and guided him the other half. He had gotten away from fishing for awhile, and I basically had to drag him up to OK at 6 a.m. kicking and screaming. needless to say, I did NOT want him to have a tough day.

He did well (landed 6), and wants to go back
Old 11-04-2012, 09:46 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

I always bring more than one but more for variety than backup. Today it was a graphite and bamboo 5wt (depending on mood) and a 12ft 3wt in case I really wanted to just nymph. My primary fishing partner (brother) only brings one cause he only has one.