The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2012, 09:15 AM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Orvis H2

Yes, a rod plays a big part in not breaking off a light leader. It's simple physics really. I've never ever liked a stiff tipped rod, not even fast actions in general. But I cast a lot of dries at some short ranges as well as longer cast. The last thing I wanna be doing is to be smacking the fly down on the water. For the places I fish, and the way I fish, give me no more than a medium action. About the Orvis Access rod,,it's one fine rod...I'm surprised it doesn't cost twice what it does.
Old 11-16-2012, 01:38 PM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

Not that I consider the ONE to be a broomstick, there is plenty of sensitivity in its super low mass yet crisp tip. I have long disputed the notion that faster action rods yield harsher dry fly presentations. As I explained in an earlier 4-weight discussion; generating high line speed and forming a tight loop allows the angler to turn a very long leader/tippet over in the air and, with a reach and wiggle of that precise tip, alight one's fly with subtle delicacy right in the fishes feeding lane with optimal, current absorbing, deliberate curves. Conversely, my disappointment with an earlier (BIIx) #4 was that it flexed so deeply its correspondingly soft tip lacked precision so it was disposed to softly lay the line out on the water not only with less control but with line impact ripples preceding the alightment of the fly.

Now, while I do not have trouble making shorter presentations with the ONE I do consider it to be a medium to big river rod and I carry smaller water speciality rods in my quiver as well.

To return to the subject of this thread, I can't wait to cast several of the new H2's, probably at Somerset, as the kind of problem I like having is choosing among too many great fishing rods.
Old 11-16-2012, 02:32 PM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold

I'm NOT a super caster for sure. I will agree in part,,that you can get a slow action rod that is so 'noodley' that you can lose all control with it,then you can't lay out ANY kind of presentation and accuracy is like a shotgun compared to a rifle. I like slower action rods,,but I like one with control and accuracy too. Living in the mountains and fishing a lot of high small native waters, I do prefer a QUALITY slower, softer action. If I fished medium and lager rivers, I can imagine the Sage 'One' to be the magic for sure. I do have a BVK as my lake rod for trout and bass,,but it'd make a horrible brookie rod were I fish and a 7X tippet would be in serious danger. There are lots of variables,,between fishermen's desires, casting abilities, areas fished, etc.
Old 11-16-2012, 02:52 PM

delopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the rough

If you wanted the sage one's accuracy in a slow action rod, you ought to check out the Sage Circa. From what I understand it's supposed to be exactly that: slow and accurate.
Old 11-16-2012, 03:30 PM

I suppose the Circa is great. But that's a hell'va price tag. I have cast the Orvis Superfine and like it very well and am looking to get one of them. If the Circa were just more moderately priced, that would be a serious consideration.
Old 11-16-2012, 07:41 PM

db cooper has a spectacular aura aboutdb cooper has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbanker View Post
I am thinking that if one was to underline a rod by two line sizes the rod tip would not bend as much and it would be harder to throw a tailing loop. One of my friends has a "10" wt that won't throw a tailing loop and I am guessing the rod will handle a 12 wt line just fine. Stiffer tip = harder to throw a tailing loop?
The best and only cure for a tailing loop is a proper casting stroke. A H2 makes it harder for a good caster to tail. A poor caster however will still duff with this rod...I have watched them do it every day since the rod hit the market

As far as the H2 goes, if you didnt like the Sage ONE, you probably will not like the Orvis H2. The ONE is faster but not by a whole lot. S&S's recommendation of the Zenith is really a good one. I have the 9x5 and really do love the rod. I honestly like the H2 maybe a touch better but its all pretty subjective.

I also agree with him that faster rods do not mean less delicacy in the delivery. That is a total myth. Delicacy comes from an appropriate cast...no rod can fix this. I prefer a fast rod with a tip flex. This gives me the ability to punch into wind, go deep if needed, and the fact that the flex is in the tip helps the rod protect lighter tippet. A lot of people think that a midflex rod offers more tippet protection but the truth is, many parabolic rods have stiffer tips. My mid-flex helios 9x5 for example is a tippet breaking son of a gun if there ever was one. My zenith 9x5 though much faster, fishes 5-8x with no issue. I

---------- Post added at 08:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:40 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by delopez View Post
If you wanted the sage one's accuracy in a slow action rod, you ought to check out the Sage Circa. From what I understand it's supposed to be exactly that: slow and accurate.

A nice rod for those who like a softer rod. Also check out the Scott G2 and the Orvis superfine touch (the best of them all imho)
Old 11-16-2012, 09:31 PM

redyote is on a distinguished road

I'm excited about the H2 because I was just able to get two original Helios rods for the price of one! I guess I'll cast one next time I'm in Sevierville, much to the dismay of my wife...
Old 11-17-2012, 12:57 PM

shotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to all

I'll add this prototype shot from the local pro shop I got today—just to add some color to the thread.

Click the image to open in full size.

The production models are out...not time to cast them today but I look forward to it. Mostly because I'm looking for a 8'6" 5 or 4wt (in a few months).
mcnerney likes this.
Old 11-17-2012, 08:57 PM

db cooper has a spectacular aura aboutdb cooper has a spectacular aura about

lol...the actual rods don't say that...just the prototypes did...very funny though!