The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2012, 09:15 AM

db cooper has a spectacular aura aboutdb cooper has a spectacular aura about
Default Orvis H2

I played with the H2 some more yesterday at work. I reviewed in the review section. Those who have cast the rod...check it out and see if you agree. Its a nice rod guys, worth checking out.
Old 11-11-2012, 08:43 AM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future
Default Re: Orvis H2

Let me tell you about the four real decent casters who toyed with a 9', 5 weight tip-flex H2 last weekend and had a heck of a time making a tailing loop with that rod.
I've never seen anything like that. It started with me helping a shop owner work on his getting certified. I asked for some nice, parallel loops at about 35' and told him to tail when I asked him to. He just couldn't tail it and he is no rooky to the game. After giving him hints like BANG the next cast, dip your arm and poke the rod to the sky at the end of the stroke, still no tail.
I proceeded to demonstrate and really had to struggle to tail. My good friend and casting partner came up to the pond and without going into detail I asked him to show us a tail. It took him quite a few tries to tail with that rod.
The Orvis rep was next up, same results. Amazing really.
Hindsight will have many of you knowing exactly how to throw a tail with that rod but without fair warning I don't think the usual tactics would work.

When is the Helios 3 coming out so I can pick up a H2 at a price I can comfortably afford?
mcnerney and grassonfly like this.
Old 11-11-2012, 09:19 AM

I purchased mine yesterday. I do really like the rod. I have always considered myself to be a midflex guy, but the H2 tip flex was just about perfect.
Old 11-12-2012, 02:19 PM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

Orvis has so much invested in Helios technology that I would not expect them to replace it any time soon. However, taper improvement is another story. From what you and Jackster (and Orvis) are saying it does indeed seem like they have made major strides in design. I have fished (but not owned) Helios in #'s 5, 6, 8 and 9 and my impression is "tip flex" to Orvis is "mid flex" to many of the rest of us with "mid flex" being ""full flex". For certain models like the super popular 9'/#5 they really could have three flex profiles. Compared to your original Helios, does the new H2 incorporate noticeably boosted lower taper power reserves? That is what I felt missing in earlier versions. I look forward to casting these new rods.
Old 11-12-2012, 04:11 PM

Absolutely. That in fact was the most surprising part of the H2 compared to the original IMHO. The newer rod has much more power in the butt section...in this regard its much more like the current Hardy Zenith.

With moderate hauls that produce roughly a 70-75 foot cast with my old Helios, the newer rod will throw 85-90. Rod quality is all about taper design imho and Orvis really got it right with the 9x5 tip and also the 9x8 tip. As mentioned above, the 9x5 is very difficult to overpower and produce tailing loops fwiw.
Old 11-16-2012, 07:23 AM

ketchum88 is on a distinguished road

Unfortunately, I am unable to go and cast the new H2's as none are close to me. I have been trying to do as much research on them as I can and am really confused. I sold my Sage One 9' 5 wt because it was too stiff to be a good dry fly rod and really did not throw well under 40' even if overlined. I like faster rods, but want a little softer tip to make it a little more dry fly/tippet friendly. I have contacted 3-4 shops that have gotten to fish with the new tip flex H2 and all of them tell me that the rod is as stiff or stiffer than the Sage One and do not recommend it as a dry fly rod.

Contradicts what you guys are saying that the tip flex has a softer tip like the Zeniths. Not saying anyone is right or wrong, just trying to figure it all out.
Old 11-16-2012, 07:56 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

I have yet to cast the new H2 either. In all fairness I was somewhat unimpressed by Helios to begin with. I am fundamentally a dry fly trout angler and the Sage ONE #5 is a superb dry fly rod with a straight 5-weight RIO Gold. I happen to love the Hardy Zenith too which does have a softer tip and that might suite your style better. It is the ONE's scalpel-like tip that gives it such an edge over its competition; impeccably precise control. It is the angler's line handling which protects the tippet not the shock absorption property of a soft tip.
Old 11-16-2012, 08:06 AM

delopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the rough

You know, there's just something about that sage one that sets it over the competition. It's totally different to any rod that I've casted. For a fast action rod, it has a lot of 'give' to it. I think I'll own one, one day... I've always been a big Winston fan. However, I'm an Orvis fan as well. I personally like the feel of the Access line better than I like the Helios. I think access rods are comparable to some of the Winston rods that I have owned. But, this is my opinion.
Old 11-16-2012, 08:09 AM

ketchum88 is on a distinguished road

Sweetandsalt,

Thanks for the reply.

This is certainly a subjective discussion. I have a 9' 6 wt One and love it, and in general think the One is a great rod. I personally liked the Z-axis better for shorter dry fly work, due to the softer tip, than the One. The 9' 5 wt One is a rocket launcher and can carry more line in the air though. It is a great all rounder to me, just not a great dry fly rod for casts under 30-40'

As far as tippet protection, I agree with you. But rod action can also play a HUGE role. I nymph with 10' rods that have very soft tips. I can horse 20"+ fish with 6-7x tippet with that rod due to the fact that the tip gives a lot more.

Enjoy the discussion though and this is a great site.
Old 11-16-2012, 09:14 AM

gbanker is just really nicegbanker is just really nicegbanker is just really nicegbanker is just really nice

I am thinking that if one was to underline a rod by two line sizes the rod tip would not bend as much and it would be harder to throw a tailing loop. One of my friends has a "10" wt that won't throw a tailing loop and I am guessing the rod will handle a 12 wt line just fine. Stiffer tip = harder to throw a tailing loop?