The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2012, 03:51 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: TFO BVK - One sweet rod!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brookfieldangler View Post
With exception of the last break, they were all my fault. With that said, I handle all my rods the same way and haven't had breakage. It could be that the BVK I had was cursed and not meant for me.

All I know is that we did not get along

Break one:My fault - Had the rod in the back of the truck while moving from spot to spot and it usually ended up in the corner of the bed and would nest between the truck bed and tail gate. Over time, it crushed the blank ever so slightly causing it to lose all structural integrity. Hooked into an aggressive carp, set the hook, and snap!

Break 2: My fault - Backcast caught a bush and when I came forward it went kaboom

Break 3: NOT my fault - Hook set on a king and on it's first run, the rod snapped. The cause of break one had since been rectified so that was not the underlying cause. I had literally just gotten the rod back from TFO after they fixed the second break when this one happened.
Broke my 9wt BVK on my 11th King of the day! Why because I tried to take a picture of the last one of the day and he was having no part of it! Rod was a month old and they didn't charge me the $25 . And got it back in a week! Sweet rod in more ways than one!
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 01-08-2013, 07:21 PM

jazzfish is on a distinguished road

Hi guys! I've got the BVK 9wt with the BVK III reel. Fluid, great control and really good for close roll casts and can chuck a nice streamer! Steelies and surf casting; it is my go to.
Dave
Old 01-09-2013, 12:42 AM

trout333 is on a distinguished road

Can anyone make a comparison to these rods with the G Loomis Eastfork rods. I'm thinking about going with the BVK or Eastfork in a 9' 5wt. I'll be mostly trout fishing the front range small to medium rivers and as big as the North Platte.
Old 01-12-2013, 03:12 PM

barham will become famous soon enough

I just finished building a tfo bvk 9' 8wt with a removable fighting butt. I mated it with an old Gunnison G4 reel with 8wt Rio Saltwater line. I have only lawn cast it but it seems awful nice. I live in central Texas but am looking forward to getting after some redfish on the coast.
David
Old 01-13-2013, 09:56 PM

okexpress is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Re: TFO BVK - One sweet rod!

I have 3 and love em....my 4 wt. is my go too
Old 01-13-2013, 10:44 PM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold

okexpress, how is your 'feel of the fight' with your 4wt BVK ? I know my 9', 5wt is a casting machine for putting one out there,,,will cast farther than I will ever need to.
Old 01-14-2013, 10:41 AM

db cooper has a spectacular aura aboutdb cooper has a spectacular aura about

I like them in the bigger line weights. The trout weights are a bit too stiff for my liking and i tend to break a lot of tippet with them. I also wish they would do a better job on the fit and finish and components. These rods look sooooo cheap its really a shame.
Old 01-30-2013, 10:05 AM

derelict is on a distinguished road

I am looking at picking up a BVK in 9' 8 weight. Its been a little tough finding good feedback on them though, since many just boil down into another 'I only buy US' fight. I dont put much credence into the 'shootout' reviews as I believe they are mostly marketing.

So, for about $200, I can pick up a brand new BVK. Looking for a rod that can do both warm and coldwater duties, around the 10 to 12 pound mark. Good choice?
Old 01-30-2013, 12:56 PM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

The "Shootouts" are for real...just cast the NRX winner in the 8-weight shootout and you will get it. Anderson spells out his criteria and puts a lot of work into comparative analysis of rods intended for a given purpose; exactly what many of us recommend to someone shopping for a new rod. OK, if price-point is ones' primary consideration you can get the BVK which is good but hardly top flight. It is not a steal but a fair price for the build quality, lack of tube and even the recoil guides it originally came with. We have two of them; a #6 and 8 so I am not talking through my hat.
Old 01-30-2013, 02:06 PM

derelict is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetandsalt View Post
OK, if price-point is ones' primary consideration you can get the BVK which is good but hardly top flight.

So, the shootout places the BVK 2nd overall....right?

Click the image to open in full size.