The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2012, 09:21 AM

gbanker is just really nicegbanker is just really nicegbanker is just really nicegbanker is just really nice
Default TFO BVK - One sweet rod!

Just got back from chasing bones at Turneffe Reef Lodge. First time using my new TFO BVK 8 wt and it is one sweet rod. Very light weight and plenty of backbone. With this rod at $250 I don't see the need to buy any of the $800 rods. Time will tell if the hardware on the rod will hold up in the salt.
mrfzx, wishiniwerfishin and alex2 like this.
Old 11-16-2012, 11:15 AM

mrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: TFO BVK - One sweet rod!

I have the BVK in 3wt, 5wt, 8wt, and 10wt. I love them all. as for the hardware....on my 8 and 10 wt, the guides are REC recoil guides, among the best going. I don't see them failing anytime soon. However, I think the newer BVK's do not use the recoil guides anymore??

There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. ~Patrick F. McManus, Never Sniff a Gift Fish, 1979

Anger is like peeing in your pants: everyone can see it, but only you can feel it. ~Jeff Yalden

Remember: The winner gets to write the history books.
Old 11-16-2012, 12:33 PM

delopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the rough

I had a new BVK 10wt. It didn't have recoil guides...
Old 11-16-2012, 12:44 PM

newby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of light

I got my 9' 5wt TFO BVK on closeout for $160 shipped to my door when TFO switched from REC guides to standard guides. So I paid WAY less than MSRP for one of the last ones to have REC guides.

It has served me well on then San Juan river as well as some water around here. Mending is a breeze. It has a soft enough tip and a delicate enough presentation that big and small dries land almost as softly as a small stream rods and yet it has the backbone to chuck weighted double nymph indicator rigs and even larger streamers. Distance, roll casting, presentation are all really good.

Yes, I love the TFO BVK.

And if anyone doesn't already know, BVK are the letters for "Lefty" Kreh's initials- Bernard Victor Kreh.
Old 11-16-2012, 01:08 PM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

I'll chime in to say my wife fishes the #8 (w/ recoils) for bones and the hardwear has held up just fine. It really can not be beat for the money but for more money a bonefisher could have a Hardy Proaxis or Loomis NRX both of which truely exceed expectations.
Old 11-16-2012, 04:16 PM

popperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to all
Send a message via Skype™ to popperfly

I like my BVK rods

Born to Fish...Forced to Work !
Old 12-06-2012, 01:29 PM

thekrow is on a distinguished road

Just picked up a BVK 8 weight 9 foot. $159.00. What a steal.
Old 12-06-2012, 01:46 PM

brookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to behold

Had an 8wt and absolutely loved casting that thing.

For some reason, however, I just couldn't stop breaking it. After the 3rd break, I sold it.
Old 12-06-2012, 02:07 PM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

Three breaks? That puts even TFO to the test. How did it break, it famously does not come with a tube but...?
Old 12-06-2012, 02:28 PM

brookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetandsalt View Post
Three breaks? That puts even TFO to the test. How did it break, it famously does not come with a tube but...?
With exception of the last break, they were all my fault. With that said, I handle all my rods the same way and haven't had breakage. It could be that the BVK I had was cursed and not meant for me.

All I know is that we did not get along

Break one:My fault - Had the rod in the back of the truck while moving from spot to spot and it usually ended up in the corner of the bed and would nest between the truck bed and tail gate. Over time, it crushed the blank ever so slightly causing it to lose all structural integrity. Hooked into an aggressive carp, set the hook, and snap!

Break 2: My fault - Backcast caught a bush and when I came forward it went kaboom

Break 3: NOT my fault - Hook set on a king and on it's first run, the rod snapped. The cause of break one had since been rectified so that was not the underlying cause. I had literally just gotten the rod back from TFO after they fixed the second break when this one happened.