The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2012, 12:36 PM

Location: Located in the western reaches of Boca Raton, Fl, a mere mile from the rim of the Everglades
bocamike is on a distinguished road
Default How to determine size of snake guides.Sage XP 890-4

My Kit-built Sage 890-4 XP graphite rod had a broken tip. Sage provided a new blank and left it up to me to strip the old snake guides and mount them on this new blank. I'm thinking ahead to when or if I should break the new blank, I could at least temporarily use the original one (which is missing approximately 3" in total length), so I would rather not strip off the snake guides. My question now becomes one of determining what size snake guides I must order for the new blank section. I see in supplier lists that I can purchase a set of snake guides which is comprised of various size guides. My dilemma is to know what size mix I need. It appears to the naked eye, beginning at the tip top that there are two snake guides of equal size; the next two appear slightly larger, and the last one largest of all on the blank. I find a metric guide sheet which lists the smallest size(2/0) as 6.0mm high, size 1/0 is 6.5mm, and the sizes grow incrimentally up to size 6 at 13mm. These are the published American Pattern sizes as opposed to the English Pattern.

I suppose the most obvious way to know what i am dealing with would be to purchase a metric ruler and measure the guides on the original blank. Before I go to that length (and assuming such a ruler would be so percise as to diferentiate between those minute sizes), I thought perhaps someone here has my answer on the top of his head and could easily help me decide what sizes to order. Thanks in advance for such a mundane question.
Old 11-18-2012, 12:52 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How to determine size of snake guides.Sage XP 890-4

I'd email Sage and ask what they have for that rod. They might just sell you some. I say that because size is only one part of the issue. I'd want to match the brand guide that is on the rest of the rod. There can be slight differences in look/finish on different brands, not to mention thickness of the wire, etc etc.
Old 11-18-2012, 01:37 PM

Location: Located in the western reaches of Boca Raton, Fl, a mere mile from the rim of the Everglades

Thanks William. I did exactly as you suggest, but have had no reply yet. Frankly, since this is a kit-built rod, I cannot be sure that it uses SAGE factory supplied snake guides. As I compare (eyeball observation) with one of my "factory" SAGE rods, I cannot see any obvious differences, nor do I see any difference when comparing to another commercial brand rod in my inventory. I think as long as I use chrome plated guides, that will be close enough in appearance for me.

I may receive a satisfactory reply from SAGE, or someone here may have a simple answer. Otherwise I may just wing it in an order for an assortment I found at Cabelas and a couple other online resources.

Thanks again for your thought.

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamhj View Post
I'd email Sage and ask what they have for that rod. They might just sell you some. I say that because size is only one part of the issue. I'd want to match the brand guide that is on the rest of the rod. There can be slight differences in look/finish on different brands, not to mention thickness of the wire, etc etc.
Old 11-18-2012, 02:22 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

The Sage website has section with snake guide size recommendations and measurements from the tip top. On a four piece blank I can't imagine there are three different sized guide on the tip section. Maybe I'm wrong, check the Sage site. And don't worry about too much, either!

Rod Building - About Sage | Sage Fly Fishing
Old 11-18-2012, 02:36 PM

Nice find Dean. That is precisely the data I was looking for. And you are correct that there are only 2 sizes on the tip section (3-1's and 2-2's). Now I know exactly what I need to order. Thanks a bunch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean_mt View Post
The Sage website has section with snake guide size recommendations and measurements from the tip top. On a four piece blank I can't imagine there are three different sized guide on the tip section. Maybe I'm wrong, check the Sage site. And don't worry about too much, either!

Old 11-18-2012, 04:32 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bocamike View Post
My Kit-built Sage 890-4 XP graphite rod had a broken tip. Sage provided a new blank and left it up to me to strip the old snake guides and mount them on this new blank. I'm thinking ahead to when or if I should break the new blank, I could at least temporarily use the original one (which is missing approximately 3" in total length), so I would rather not strip off the snake guides. My question now becomes one of determining what size snake guides I must order for the new blank section. I see in supplier lists that I can purchase a set of snake guides which is comprised of various size guides. My dilemma is to know what size mix I need. It appears to the naked eye, beginning at the tip top that there are two snake guides of equal size; the next two appear slightly larger, and the last one largest of all on the blank. I find a metric guide sheet which lists the smallest size(2/0) as 6.0mm high, size 1/0 is 6.5mm, and the sizes grow incrimentally up to size 6 at 13mm. These are the published American Pattern sizes as opposed to the English Pattern.

I suppose the most obvious way to know what i am dealing with would be to purchase a metric ruler and measure the guides on the original blank. Before I go to that length (and assuming such a ruler would be so percise as to diferentiate between those minute sizes), I thought perhaps someone here has my answer on the top of his head and could easily help me decide what sizes to order. Thanks in advance for such a mundane question.
No need to guess measure or even ask Sage. I found this with a simple Google search for "Sage Fly Rod snake guide spacing"

Sage provides the Guide size and spacing at:

This is for your rod:

Size Spacing

Guide 1 1 4
Guide 2 1 8-3/8
Guide 3 1 13-5/8
Guide 4 2 19-11/16
Guide 5 2 27-11/16
Guide 6 2 36-1/8
Guide 7 3 45-1/8
Guide 8 4 54-5/8
Guide 9 12t 65-15/16
Guide 10 16t 77-1/2

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy