The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2012, 09:46 AM

jpwv12 is on a distinguished road
Default Rod Advice for beginner...Scott A3 or Winston IM6

Guys,

I am new to fly fishing and recently purchased a Scott A3 and a Galvan Spoke, both at good prices. I have been reading up on various fly fishing topics and came across the Winston IM6. I will be fishing in small streams in the Western NC mountains. My question is, should I return the Scott A3 and get a Winston IM6? It sounds like the IM6 is a great rod and probably more fitted to what I would need in my area. Maybe I should just stick with what I have and see how my skill set develops until I go buying something different.
Old 11-19-2012, 10:41 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rod Advice for beginner...Scott A3 or Winston IM6

Try the Winston...and see if you like it better than the Scott
Old 11-19-2012, 11:37 AM

I understand the advice but since I am a beginner I am not sure I know what I like at this point. Only time will tell which is why I mentioned one option of just sticking with what I have until I develop feel and skill in casting.
Old 11-19-2012, 11:58 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

I clearly understand your question...by"like" I mean use a rod you feel at ease with...it's the best way to improve your casting and your accuracy...just my two cents.Got an A2 which performs very well and is easy to cast...not sure I fish better with a $600 rod(and I've got some)
Guest1 likes this.
Old 11-19-2012, 12:45 PM

I appreciate the replies.
Old 11-19-2012, 03:26 PM

mysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpwv12 View Post
Guys,

I am new to fly fishing and recently purchased a Scott A3 and a Galvan Spoke, both at good prices. I have been reading up on various fly fishing topics and came across the Winston IM6. I will be fishing in small streams in the Western NC mountains. My question is, should I return the Scott A3 and get a Winston IM6? It sounds like the IM6 is a great rod and probably more fitted to what I would need in my area. Maybe I should just stick with what I have and see how my skill set develops until I go buying something different.
More important than what brand of fly rod, key factors for fishing the small streams is the rod length and action. Having owned a 8'6" A3 4wt, I found it to be okay in the type of casting situations required on the streams. it worked better once I over-lined it with a 5 wt line.

If you really want to get a reasonably priced 'perfect' rod for fishing the mountain streams, get yourself one of the 8' or 8'6" 3 wt Redington CT's which are on sale everywhere. That is what I primarily use these days in the mountains streams since they allow me to effectively cast with just a foot of line + the leader in the pocket waters. Another thing is that the rod action is perfect for roll casts.
Old 11-19-2012, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticm View Post
More important than what brand of fly rod, key factors for fishing the small streams is the rod length and action. Having owned a 8'6" A3 4wt, I found it to be okay in the type of casting situations required on the streams. it worked better once I over-lined it with a 5 wt line.

If you really want to get a reasonably priced 'perfect' rod for fishing the mountain streams, get yourself one of the 8' or 8'6" 3 wt Redington CT's which are on sale everywhere. That is what I primarily use these days in the mountains streams since they allow me to effectively cast with just a foot of line + the leader in the pocket waters. Another thing is that the rod action is perfect for roll casts.
Why did putting a heavier wt line make it better? I have a 4wt reel and a 4 wt rod. Should I put 5wt line on it?
Old 11-19-2012, 05:33 PM

missin44 is on a distinguished road

If you're looking for an eastern mountain rod you really shouldn't go over 7' 6". Anything longer is going to be a pain. Either rod would be fine, the "feel" of the rod is very subjective. Personally I would look for a used Scott G series; it was discontinued when Scott came out with the G2. As generic advice a slower action rod in 76 to 66 would work best in the mountains.
Old 11-19-2012, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticm View Post

I looked into those CT rods and at $75 I might just pick one up. Based on another reply regarding length I might look into the 7' 6" 3 wt. Thanks for the info.

---------- Post added at 06:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:13 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by missin44 View Post
If you're looking for an eastern mountain rod you really shouldn't go over 7' 6". Anything longer is going to be a pain. Either rod would be fine, the "feel" of the rod is very subjective. Personally I would look for a used Scott G series; it was discontinued when Scott came out with the G2. As generic advice a slower action rod in 76 to 66 would work best in the mountains.
Do you recommend the G series over the G2 based on it likely being less expensive or is there a performance reason? I ask b/c I have been looking at a few used G2 rods on ebay.
Old 11-19-2012, 11:11 PM

missin44 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpwv12 View Post
I looked into those CT rods and at $75 I might just pick one up. Based on another reply regarding length I might look into the 7' 6" 3 wt. Thanks for the info.

---------- Post added at 06:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:13 PM ----------

Do you recommend the G series over the G2 based on it likely being less expensive or is there a performance reason? I ask b/c I have been looking at a few used G2 rods on ebay.
In a word yes. In my opinion the G series is the sweetest casing rod made. But that is the rod I learned to cast on. In my mind the perfect rod for your use, based on what you have posted I would choose the Scott Murray Mountain Trout Rod, sold only though Murrays Fly Shop in Edinburgh, VA. However Scott did build as the G703/3. Both are 6' 10" 3 piece rods. I've had the Murray rod for the past 20 years. Despite the high cost I bought it new 20 years ago after getting hired at my current job. Sorta a congrads to myself thing. Murray still sells it, yet Scott dropped it from their line. BTW - You will not find the Murray rod on the Scott website, rest assured Scott knows the rod well. If you want a new Murray get ready for sticker shock, both rods will be hard to find used. I see about 2 per year on average.

Having cast both the G & G2 I still wouldn't trade my G for the G2 straight up. Though the G2 is a sweet rod. I'll say this take your time if you find a great deal on a G2 jump on it, otherwise wait for a G. You'll most likely get a better deal and an amazingly classic fly rod.

To finish I have 7 rods, my Scott G904/4 is my go to rod 80% of the time. However when fishing the Shenandoah Nat. Park it's my Murray.

Here is a link to specs on the past G series line of rods: http://www.jabo1.com/assets/projects...Rods/fiber.htm

Check your PM's

Tight Lines

Last edited by missin44; 11-19-2012 at 11:33 PM.