The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2012, 07:02 PM

nrp5087 will become famous soon enoughnrp5087 will become famous soon enough
Default Hardy True Bamboo value?

My dad showed me a rod he has had in the safe for several years just curious what it is worth. It says "by appointment to the late King George the 5th, to the Prince of Wales 1931-1936" on the cloth rod sock. It is a #5 line 9ft hard to read what it says on the rod as far as the name (its in cursive). what do you think its worth? I will upload pictures soon.
Old 11-20-2012, 09:02 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Hardy True Bamboo value?

I'm not an expert but I'll tell you what I think I know. Hardy Bros. received a sort of commission (I don't know the British name for it) from the Prince Of Wales naming them as the makers of fishing tackle to the throne along with the general population as well. Certainly the company has produced rods, reels and etc. for the Royal Families since their inception but the "By Appointment Of" thing gave them some 'street cred' so to say.

Whether or not your old cane is of any special value or not I am not sure. Be advised that the reel case to my 1980 Princess reel states the same thing and it's just a reel.

Pictures will help to know the model of the rod and try to get good clear shots of the script please, also a good close up of the silks that dress the guides & ferrules. You can e-mail some to me also if you like and I'll have an antique dealer / seller from the UK I am associated with view them. He deals almost exclusively in hardy and B&W rods along with some other old UK. reel makers. He may very well be able to quote the rod. If you want to e-mail the pics. just use the address provided on my profile contacts tab.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 11-20-2012, 09:20 PM

thewalker1013 has a spectacular aura aboutthewalker1013 has a spectacular aura about

...or you could post em here so we can all se your cool gear and follow the story?!?
Old 11-20-2012, 09:58 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute

You're right, Sorry

I just thought that this fellow in the UK would be the source on this one. He seems the most knowledgeable person I've ever spoken with on such things. Hardy of course is a source but lately I have little to no luck with having messages returned from them............ So yeah, post some here too.

Old 11-20-2012, 10:59 PM

thewalker1013 has a spectacular aura aboutthewalker1013 has a spectacular aura about

I gotta admit, I know nothing of bamboo, but sure would like to learn
Old 11-20-2012, 11:03 PM
Administrator

We'll both have to wait now, he signed off hours ago

Old 11-21-2012, 08:31 AM

nrp5087 will become famous soon enoughnrp5087 will become famous soon enough

Sorry I fell asleep i was pheasant hunting all day and I also do not know the combo to my dad's safe.... hold tight
Old 11-21-2012, 10:27 AM

tennessee dave will become famous soon enoughtennessee dave will become famous soon enough

For all things bamboo check the boys out over at (removed link to another forum) They will know the answer you are looking for.

Last edited by Hardyreels; 11-21-2012 at 01:15 PM. Reason: Removed link to another forum