The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2012, 12:37 AM

pescador7 will become famous soon enough
Default 9 foot 4wt help

Im looking to buy a 9ft 4wt rod but cant find one. Can any one point me in the right direction. My budget is $100-$150. I have a 7ft but it doest cut it when im on the lake. Also im wiling to go for an 8ft 6 but mostly prefer a 9ft.
Old 11-22-2012, 01:00 AM

Kerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud of
Default Re: 9 foot 4wt help

Did you check out e-bay? I just bought a 10' 4wt there for 157.00 my shipping was high because I am in Canada but yours may be cheaper if you are in the U.S,
Each smallest act of kindness - even just words of hope when they are needed, the remembrance of a birthday, a compliment that engenders a smile - reverberates across great distances and spans of time, affecting lives unknown to the one whose generous spirit was the source of this good echo, because kindness is passed on and grows each time it's passed, until a simple courtesy becomes an act of selfless courage years later and far away.
Old 11-22-2012, 01:05 AM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Allen fly fishing has the ATS rod in 8'9" 4wt . With the black Friday discount you'll be under $150. Allen is a forum sponsor with good customer service.
TFO has the signature series in 8'6" for just over 100
cabelas has the redington Ct in 9' 4wt for under 80
Can't vouch for these rods but there are options.
Old 11-22-2012, 01:08 AM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

a
heres a sweet rod. not 9', but 8' 6", they also have a 10'. a real difference from a 7' rod.
Xa Rod Series - Allen Fly Fishing Store

casey

ARFE
Old 11-22-2012, 06:54 AM

moucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the rough

Gary Borger is a big name in flyfishing who developed a line of rods, the "Gary Borger Pro Series", for Targus a few years ago that got excellent reviews. (Google "Gary Borger Pro Series" to see what people on bulletin boards have said about them. I have the 8 and 9 weights and love them, but others speak well of the lighter weight ones.) Targus got into some kind of business trouble and discontinued the line, and the remaining inventory is being sold off by The Fly Shop in Redding, Calif. The 9x4 model was originally sold at a list price $299 but is now marked down to $129, right in your target price range, and are a fantastic bargain at that price. They still have the 9x4's in stock.

One added bonus is that they come with a second tip, so if you break your tip while on the water you can still keep fishing. At this price point that's an attractive feature. However, look at the photos and make sure you don't mind the reel seat and paint job -- they are a little flashy for some people's taste.

https://catalog.theflyshop.com/produ...oducts_id=7964
Old 11-22-2012, 08:05 AM

dakotakid has a spectacular aura aboutdakotakid has a spectacular aura aboutdakotakid has a spectacular aura about

Cabelas also has their LSi fly rods on sale for $114. Original price is $190. Don't have any experience with this model, but the on-line reviews are very positive.
Old 11-22-2012, 09:11 AM

thewalker1013 has a spectacular aura aboutthewalker1013 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamhj View Post
Allen fly fishing has the ATS rod in 8'9" 4wt . With the black Friday discount you'll be under $150. Allen is a forum sponsor with good customer service.
TFO has the signature series in 8'6" for just over 100
cabelas has the redington Ct in 9' 4wt for under 80
Can't vouch for these rods but there are options.
I love some of the TFOs, but I got a Sig Series in a 9' 5 and promptly sold it... I can't imagine the 4 wt feels good unless you've got a lot of line out, then it may be halfway decent. Broomstick
Old 11-22-2012, 09:43 AM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by moucheur2003 View Post
Gary Borger is a big name in flyfishing who developed a line of rods, the "Gary Borger Pro Series", for Targus a few years ago that got excellent reviews. (Google "Gary Borger Pro Series" to see what people on bulletin boards have said about them. I have the 8 and 9 weights and love them, but others speak well of the lighter weight ones.) Targus got into some kind of business trouble and discontinued the line, and the remaining inventory is being sold off by The Fly Shop in Redding, Calif. The 9x4 model was originally sold at a list price $299 but is now marked down to $129, right in your target price range, and are a fantastic bargain at that price. They still have the 9x4's in stock.

One added bonus is that they come with a second tip, so if you break your tip while on the water you can still keep fishing. At this price point that's an attractive feature. However, look at the photos and make sure you don't mind the reel seat and paint job -- they are a little flashy for some people's taste.

https://catalog.theflyshop.com/produ...oducts_id=7964
I just ordered a 4 wt. Pro Series rod. After reading Silver Creek's review on another site. I have the Borger LT 4/5 reel, so that should be a good match up. Silver Creek, if you read this pm me. I'd like to get a spare spool or 2 for that reel.
Old 11-22-2012, 11:21 AM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know about spare spools for the reel. Gary is away at the tying show in NJ. After that he and Nancy are going to Washington state for two weeks with Jason, Kelli, and their new grand daughter.

Good choice on the fly rod. I actually have 2 of the Pro Series 4 wts. I bought a spare backup. The $129 is less than I paid for the rod through Gary.

I also have the LT rods. When Gary was designing the Pro and LT series of fly rods, he said the 8.5 ft, 5 wt LT was the best 8.5 ft 5 wt rod he had ever casted at that price point ($300). Gary Loomis also test casted the fly rods and said he could make a better rod but it would cost twice as much ($600).

Here is a photo of Gary in his back yard when we test casted these rods. He is casting an entire WF 5 line with the 8.5 ft 5 wt LT model. I ordered the rods from him even before they were released and I got my rods before the Fly Shop did.

Click the image to open in full size.

Gary uses what he designs. Here he is with a smallmouth that caught while fishing at our lake cottage.

These are photos from Gary's September trip to a Wisconsin Lake Michigan Tributary for Browns and King Salmon.

[/img]http://www.garyborger.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/A-big-hen-on-the-egg1.gif[/img]

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 11-23-2012, 08:27 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Got a call today from The Fly Shop. No more Borger 4 wt's. Ended up getting a Fly Shop Fresh H2o 4 wt. 9' er. Two tips and same price ($129). I'll give it a go. Can't go wrong for the price. Lifetime warranty. I'll review it when it comes.