The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2012, 07:18 PM

melvynsegal is on a distinguished road
Default 8 weight question

I'm looking for a moderately priced 8 weight to fish around Sarasota and Anna Maria Island on Florida's west coast in March. I'm considering the A4 from Scott; I enjoy my 4 weight A4 enormously- love that smooth Scott action! But the 8 weight may be a very different animal. Anyone have experience with this rod? Opinions appreciated.Thanks in advance..... Mel
Old 11-22-2012, 08:11 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 8 weight question

Albright is having a year end clearance on their XXT for $149.99

:: Albright Fly Fish | Fly Rods | Fly Reels | Spin and Casting Rods | Reels | Rods

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 11-23-2012, 09:57 AM

wishiniwerfishin will become famous soon enoughwishiniwerfishin will become famous soon enough

I'd get a TFO BVK, costs less and casts better IMO.
thewalker1013 likes this.
Old 11-23-2012, 12:04 PM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by wishiniwerfishin View Post
I'd get a TFO BVK, costs less and casts better IMO.
Have you fished both of these rods? They are rods of different intent really; the BVK which is lighter in weight might be the better fasts wading rod for redfish in that area while the XXT is the superior boat fishing rod with its larger diameter, thicker, stronger walls and geater reserve of low end power. They both share a penchant for prefering a line a 1/2 size heavier than rated. Both are made in Korea. I have not fished the Scott A4 in a #8 but Scott makes fine rods in Colorado, I like their more expensive S4s a lot. You might also check out Rise Fishing's Level Series. I fish their #7 and it is a very nice rod as is Rajeff Sports ECHO3 which I have fished in a 9-weight.

Silver Creek, Is there much difference getween the Borger/Targus rod and the also gone EXS?
Old 11-23-2012, 02:53 PM

wishiniwerfishin will become famous soon enoughwishiniwerfishin will become famous soon enough

I was refering to the A4, cast a 9wt and didn't care too much for it but it wasn't a bad rod. I just think my BVK rods are easier to cast and lighter which make for a better day fishing to me. I've also fished S4s rods alot as well as the S3s and A3 rods so not just trying to put Scott down, they make fine rods.
Old 11-23-2012, 05:49 PM

delopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the rough

Another rod that you might think about is the Orvis Access 8wt. Those are a dream to cast and fish! Another rod that I'm currently waiting to get in from the mail is the Flying Pig Liquid series 8wt. According to Diver Dan, these are rocket launchers!
Old 11-23-2012, 05:53 PM

rdavisson is on a distinguished road

I saw your post and guess I need to reply since I have both of the Scott A4 rods that you mentioned. My order was reversed however with acquiring the 8wt first and then the 4 wt. It is my opinion that the action is very similar. I get the same feeling when I cast either one of the rods so it was an easy transition. The one thing that I really like about both of these rods is how you feel the rod load on the backcast.
Take it for what it's worth from just a weekend angler.
Old 11-24-2012, 08:22 PM

melvynsegal is on a distinguished road

Thanks so much for your input. Think I'll give one a try.... Mel
Old 11-24-2012, 10:27 PM

db cooper has a spectacular aura aboutdb cooper has a spectacular aura about

One of the better 8s for me is the Winston Boron II-Mx. If you hurry you might find one on closeout at a great deal.
Old 11-25-2012, 09:30 AM

delopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by db cooper View Post
One of the better 8s for me is the Winston Boron II-Mx. If you hurry you might find one on closeout at a great deal.
madison river fly company has them on closeout at a pretty decent deal.