The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Fly Rods (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-rods/)
-   -   Sage SPL 373 - for small streams, rivers (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-rods/303162-sage-spl-373-small-streams-rivers.html)

domel 11-23-2012 06:16 AM

Sage SPL 373 - for small streams, rivers

Hi
I look for rod for small streams and rivers, sometimes, flowing among bush and trees. My friend offered me Sage SPL 373. Isn't it too weak for such a fishing? Sometimes you have to use force to stop trout from hiding in sunken tree branches. What do you think? Will it work in such conditions?
BR
Tom

mysticm 11-23-2012 08:05 AM

Re: Sage SPL 373 - for small streams, rivers

Hi Tom,
The SPL is a great rod & would be a fine tool for the type of conditions you have described. A key factor to understand is the size & type of flies you plan to cast with it. The SPL 3wt would have limitations in terms of casting large streamers or heavily weighted large double nymph rigs. I said limitations because it will cast those but it will not be pretty :)
Also, strong wind will influence the rod more & can make casting the line challenging.
However, I think the rod would excel in dry fly fishing, small emerges, nymphs and / or dry-dropper systems.
As long as you aren't fishing for steelhead or other hard running trout, the 3wt with a good reel should work very well in small streams.

domel 11-23-2012 08:35 AM

Thanks
I did not have this rod before, it was produced in 1997 so not many of my fried know it. I think I will fish with dries, nymphs, wets, small streamers. Not heavy flies. Assumption is short rod to be easy to carry in bush and tall grass and fish under tree branches. I was afraid that SPL #3 would be too delicate.
I think I will take it, friend offered me rod for equivalent of $200 - I think price is nice.
BR
Tom

plecain 11-23-2012 09:13 AM

You can search the forum for 'ultralight' and see what some are using.

I have a 6' 2 wt rod that I use on small-to-medium steams. It's a lot of fun and handles 12"-15" trout with no problem. The rod is a really soft 2 wt. It measures out at about 1.1 using the common cents system.

chi flyfisher 11-23-2012 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by domel (Post 500816)
Thanks
I did not have this rod before, it was produced in 1997 so not many of my fried know it. I think I will fish with dries, nymphs, wets, small streamers. Not heavy flies. Assumption is short rod to be easy to carry in bush and tall grass and fish under tree branches. I was afraid that SPL #3 would be too delicate.
I think I will take it, friend offered me rod for equivalent of $200 - I think price is nice.
BR
Tom

Provided its in good shape the price is very good. The SPL (Sage SP - Light is the vernacular) is a light rod, no doubt. It's not going to throw double rigs very well if you plan on using a small indicator. But if you're going to throw dries, wets and single nymphs with a small amount of putty or something similar, it will be a nice stick to add to your quiver. Don't worry about a 3 wt. having enough power for trout, I've caught some large trout on my 3 wt's. I love 3 wt's and fishing them. I have 5 of 'em :D

Cheers,
Mike.

fireroad 11-24-2012 01:24 AM

The SPL series is a fantastic true moderate/medium action series of rods. In that series the 8'3" lengths were by far the most popular for most fishing applications. The 7'3" is a true brush rod and works great for it's intended purpose...close quarters and heavy brush. Keep in mind that you may be disappointing with in more open fishing situations. So for it's intended purpose, it would be harder to find a better stick for the job. Good luck with your purchase!

cowpokey 11-24-2012 03:53 AM

My go to rod has been a 7' 9" 3wt for several years. Some people (myself included) focus on ultralight fly fishing (000wt thru 3wt). I also have a 2wt, that's a fun rod too. I've yet to feel under gunned with either, when it comes to fighting fish. Sure those rods won't throw big/heavy flies, but I don't do that kind of fishing very often. I'd say go for it, sounds like a good deal on it.