The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By db cooper

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-23-2012, 07:24 PM

chicagojohn will become famous soon enoughchicagojohn will become famous soon enough
Default St. Croix Legend Elite Saltwater Fly Rods

Has anyone cast the St Croix Legend Elite saltwater rod in a 6 weight? I've cast the 8 weight with a 250 and 300 grain sinking line. Its a beautiful 8 weight and casts a sinking line quite well. I was just wondering how the 6 weight did casting streamers.
Old 11-24-2012, 08:13 AM

db cooper has a spectacular aura aboutdb cooper has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: St. Croix Legend Elite Saltwater Fly Rods

I like that rod very much. I recently started using a 7wt for streamers but prior to that, the St. Croix stick worked very well. Its a faster rod but not super fast, light in hand with good balance. Hard to go wrong.
noreaster likes this.
Old 11-24-2012, 10:14 AM

noreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by db cooper View Post
I like that rod very much. I recently started using a 7wt for streamers but prior to that, the St. Croix stick worked very well. Its a faster rod but not super fast, light in hand with good balance. Hard to go wrong.
Don't know about the Legend Elite, but was thinking the same thing about their Imperial line. Their blank design seems spot on.
Old 11-24-2012, 10:42 AM

randyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to all

Excellent rod.

Randy
Old 08-26-2014, 01:21 PM

nosajwp is on a distinguished road

Would the 6 weight version (ESW906.4) be versatile enough to cast dries/nymphs to trout, small poppers/streamers to bass, as well as small clousers/deceivers to smaller saltwater species?

I'm looking for a good, do-it-all kind of 6 weight, and this one seems like a good candidate.
Old 08-26-2014, 03:29 PM

fireroad is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by noreaster View Post
Don't know about the Legend Elite, but was thinking the same thing about their Imperial line. Their blank design seems spot on.
I thought the same thing about the Imperial, especially since the 4 and 5's were so good. I have no idea what they did to the #6 Imperial, but it is a dud. Feels nothing like the rest of the lineup.

I have a freshwater #8 and it's a great rod and I would buy the #6 fresh for everything... but streamers. The tip is just too soft for chucking anything bigger than a #6 or with a conehead. Same goes for the salt version. Reason being is the difference between the fresh and salt versions of the LE is the salt has more power in the butt, but the top 2/3 of the rod are very similar.

Now the St Croix Bankrobber on the other hand...but it is a pure streamer rod.

For what you are asking of a 6wt in medium-fast action I would try to cast a Loop Evotec. I got to throw the 5wt version around a couple of months back and found it to be a very versatile taper. I am considering the 696 model as a nymph and streamer boat rod.
Old 08-27-2014, 07:27 AM

Are the Legend Elites really fast action, similar to a Sage, or are they more of a medium to medium/fast action, when compared with some of the other true fast action rods out there?
Old 08-27-2014, 06:11 PM

fireroad is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosajwp View Post
Are the Legend Elites really fast action, similar to a Sage, or are they more of a medium to medium/fast action, when compared with some of the other true fast action rods out there?
I have cast mine side by side with my buddy's Sage XI3. The XI3 is fast, the LE is medium fast. Not comparing it to Sage I would call it "fast light", kinda like the Winston B3X is "fast for winston". Either way a very enjoyable rod series and I really, really hope they start making 10ft versions for steelhead!
Old 09-03-2014, 07:13 AM

Any idea how the LE might compare to a Sage Xi2, or perhaps a Scott STS, SES, or S3S?
Old 09-03-2014, 11:00 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

I have a Legend Elite #9 and it is a nice casting, reasonably fast rod that I can't say a bad thing about except, somehow, it does not get voted into a compact travel quiver...there is always something with more "personality". Now, I don't own one but I have test cast a #6 "Bankrobber"; that rod is a streamer thrower's streamer thrower.