The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2010, 09:53 PM

troutbum17 is on a distinguished road
Default Rod reccomendations for larger freshwater fish

Im looking for a rod that would be great for steelhead, but also be able to have the backbone to handle some carp, northern, and stripers. Any reccomendations? I was thinking something along the lines of a 9'6" 8 wt. but im not sure. Any input would help. thanks
troutbum
Old 07-23-2010, 03:59 PM

SkipS is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Rod reccomendations for larger freshwater fish

An 8wt wolub be my choice also but I would go with a 9ft rod.A 9 1/2 ft rod is noticeably heavier and puts more stress on your wrist and adds little or nothing to your casts.
Old 07-23-2010, 06:12 PM

crittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nice

I haven't tried them yet.. but if you have money to burn...

Google this text and watch the video "Hardy SINTRIX 9'6" #7 (4 piece rod) vs 55lb Shark"

From Hardy/Greys

"SINTRIX material provides rods which are 60% stronger, up to 30% lighter and with hugely improved impact resistance over conventional carbon fibre.
Initially the new technology will be used in Hardy fly rods but eventually SINTRIX will also be used in Carp, Coarse and Sea ranges within the Greys and Chub brands."

I am a Greys fan for the price and connectedness you get with the rod. I believe in another year we will see this technolgy in the trout rods.
Old 07-24-2010, 01:36 PM

burk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by crittergetter View Post
I haven't tried them yet.. but if you have money to burn...

Google this text and watch the video "Hardy SINTRIX 9'6" #7 (4 piece rod) vs 55lb Shark"

From Hardy/Greys

"SINTRIX material provides rods which are 60% stronger, up to 30% lighter and with hugely improved impact resistance over conventional carbon fibre.
Initially the new technology will be used in Hardy fly rods but eventually SINTRIX will also be used in Carp, Coarse and Sea ranges within the Greys and Chub brands."

I am a Greys fan for the price and connectedness you get with the rod. I believe in another year we will see this technolgy in the trout rods.
Hardy will be introducing both FW and SW versions at the show.
Old 07-24-2010, 10:41 PM

crittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by burk48237 View Post
Hardy will be introducing both FW and SW versions at the show.
Thanks Burk48237...

I will keep my eyes open. Of course I am to cheap to buy latest and greatest so I guess I will wait.. However, If I get a chance I will give them a try.. Can you imagine a 10' 5w rod weighing less less than 2 lbs. High stick nymphing would work all day. What reel would one use? and the 3wt rod... no telling what it could weigh and a 22" brown or rainbow on a 3wt would really be killer
Old 07-30-2010, 08:55 PM

grousehunter49 is on a distinguished road

SKIPS-- Hit the nail right on the head, I,ve used 9'9". 9'6" 10' found them all hard on the wrist, fine if you only fish a hour or two each day, but fish 6 or 8 hrs nearly every day and you,ll notice it. Stay with the 9' in any weight you need, I use a 9' 8# Sage Vantage, don,t know it,s in your hand. Good Luck.
Old 07-31-2010, 02:45 AM

wonderfulremark is on a distinguished road

I say 10' 8wt!
Old 07-31-2010, 09:23 AM

burk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really nice

My experience is that for larger non stream fish your better off with a none footer or under. The advantage of the longer rod really comes out for Salmon-Steelhead or any fish where you're doing a lot of mending and river fishing. I personally have switched to two handers for all of that fishing. But for Pike, Stripers, LM Bass, Musky, etc., in most cases none footers are the go to sticks.