The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2012, 08:07 AM

vango is on a distinguished road
Default 586-4 Sage One

Hi I need your advice. I have a Sage One 8 ft 6 in 5 wt. I want to use it to fish small creeks and streams for trout. So i am looking at accuracy and presentation. What kind of line would you all recommend? Also what do folks mean when they say over lining or underlining

Thanks!! Dan
Old 11-27-2012, 08:23 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future
Default Re: 586-4 Sage One

Over and under lining refers to using a fly line size above or below the rod makers recommended rating, hence a #6 line on your 5-weight. Some rods (or casters) benefit from this practice but usually it is a function of a rod designer not getting the rating quite right. I have the ONE 9'/#5 and, while I have tried heavier lines on it, I have found Sage's recommendation of the RIO Gold #5 to be spot on...it is the line your rod was developed around. Sure this rod can handle 1/2 size heavy lines like SA GPX or RIO Grande and even a full #6 and some believe they will load the rod better for shorter presentations, however, heavier lines numb the ultra precise tip feel of this great rod.
Old 11-27-2012, 08:41 AM

dillon has a spectacular aura aboutdillon has a spectacular aura about

I too use and am happy with, the Rio Gold on my 5wt Sage XP, another fast action rod. I purchased the line before the Rio Grande was introduced. It is touted as their best line for modern fast action rods. Overlining is often suggested for short distance casting as the extra line weight helps to load the rod quicker, as Sweetand Salt explained. Since you mentioned fishing small streams perhaps it is worth a look. A fly shop that will let you cast some lines certainly helps to make the best choice as casting skill and style is a determining factor. That's how I discovered Gold, and it was not the reccomendation of the salesperson or others I had spoken to...

Last edited by dillon; 11-27-2012 at 01:00 PM.
Old 11-27-2012, 10:07 AM

wannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to behold

+1 on the Rio Gold; on sweetandsalt's recommendation I switched to it from the Grand for my 8.5' 5wt Z-axis and it works beautifully.