The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By sweetandsalt

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2012, 12:26 PM

corbs64269 is on a distinguished road
Default Question about Thomas and Thomas rod

Hello, I know next to nothing about fly fishing. I was given a rod that I know nothing about and wanted to find more info. My google searching didn't turn up much. It's a two piece rod. It has the name Thomas and Thomas on the piece where you would attach a reel. Around the base of the rod it says Tarpon 9'/#12. It also has what I assume is a serial number on both pieces that does match. I was just curios if this was a decent rod, what it would be used for, and an approximate value.

Thank you for your help!
Old 11-27-2012, 12:45 PM

noreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nice
Default Re: Question about Thomas and Thomas rod

Not sure about the name,but the tarpon 9' #12 would suggest a rod for larger species of fish and I'm guessing salt water fishing. No idea on the value. i'm sure someone here will know. Sit tight.
Old 11-27-2012, 12:51 PM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

Thomas & Thomas

You can go to their web site, contact customer service, give them the serial number and they will tell you the age and perhaps value of the rod. From the information you have provided, the 9' is the length and the #12 is the line size/weight which, as its name indicates, is used for very large fish like tarpon that can easily be in excess of 100 pounds. This is at the very large end of specialty fly rods and is used most often in Florida and parts of the Caribbean during the spring migration of these formidable fish. To a lesser extent, anglers pursuing juvenile bluefin tuna in the NE use a rod like this too.

Oh and, yes, T&T is a very high quality rod.
jpbfly likes this.
Old 11-27-2012, 01:30 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Already got good advice...as it's a 2piece rod I guess it must be a rod made some years ago...Rip should give more infos when he sees your post...if he doesn't which would be surprising, pm him
Old 11-27-2012, 01:46 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

It may be a Horizon from the 1995 era. The Horizon II followed.

Gary Borger designed the Horizon, don't know who designed the Horizon II. Check for "Horizon" or "HS" on the rod.

Thomas and Thomas 10wt graphites

Best 12wt Flyrod?

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy