The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2012, 07:56 PM

shotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to all
Default Vintage Orvis Bamboo...worth it?

I'm considering getting a bamboo rod at some point in the future. But a recent posting at the auction site has caught my attention and has me considering one now:

1948 Orvis Manchester battenkill impregnated Vintage bamboo fly fishing rod
(8' 5wt)

Currently bidding at $275...extra tip included and from what I can see, in okay condition. I see models new going for $2k from Orvis.

Is this auction too good to be true? Or is my knowledge of bamboo rods so miniscule that I'm not seeing things in the pictures that would make this rod so 'cheap' given it's current new retail price. One guy asked if the sections were all the same (the seller responded YES). Is that a good thing?

Thanks for your help!

-- John Gierach

blog: http://www.thefinfeatherandfur.com
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thefinfeatherandfur
My TU:
http://massanuttentu.com
Old 11-27-2012, 09:00 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future
Default Re: Vintage Orvis Bamboo...worth it?

Looks real good to me, I would ask how the ferrule fit is. Its is a good thing that each section is matching, it means a tip has never been broken. It won't last at that price unless I'm missing something too.
Old 11-27-2012, 10:44 PM

rasputinj is a jewel in the roughrasputinj is a jewel in the roughrasputinj is a jewel in the rough

As long it is cheap should be worth it, not the most collectible rod, I would not go much above 340 for it.
shotgunfly likes this.

My Guide
Taupo Turangi North Island New Zealand Fly fishing Guide
Old 11-27-2012, 11:46 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hi Cardo,

I don't have any Orvis cane older than 1964 but I do have 4 of them and they are all wonderful fly rods. The link below may help in giving you some questions to send to the seller. Over the years I've had quite a few bamboo pass through my hands and have tried to remember the things to watch out for.

Tips For Buying Used Rods;
fredaevans, shotgunfly and yonder like this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 11-28-2012, 09:18 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

I was not aware that "impregnated" (bamboo pressure infused with plastic resin for low maintenance) existed in 1948. I would check this out with Orvis FF cust. service... Also the Manchester is the traditional low end of Orvis cane and tend toward tip heavy clunkieness. Having started with cane and still having a few decent cane rods, they may not posses the romantic appeal to me that they might to a younger, graphite era angler but there was a wonderful angling community embracing the work of the master builders like Garrison, Gillum, Payne, et al. And possibly the best cane rods ever are being built today with vastly improved adhesives and hollow-built technique by makers like Per Brandon...his 8'3"/#4 is over the top divine and takes years and substantial disposable income to acquire.

What I take from those golden days is the old fashioned respect for rod designers as opposed to brands thus making a distinction between a Gary Loomis, G.Loomis and a Steve Rajeff, G.Loomis or a Don Green, Sage compared to a Jerry Siem, Sage. I also admire Howard Croston at Hardy and Jim Bartchi at Scott. I find it hard to wrap my hand around the grip of a rod whose brand name lacks a rod designer of note behind it. That does not mean that some "designed by committee" rod automatically cast poorly; in this computer aided age it is not that hard to design a taper that works well but, as in the great cane of yesteryear, todays' elite graphite rod designers imbue their best efforts with distinct personality.

---------- Post added at 10:18 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:27 AM ----------

The below is from Orvis Fly Fishing "Live Chat":

Paul C.: Ok the first impregnated rod came out in 1954

Paul C.: All of the information regarding those early rods are on this page.

The agent is sending you to Bamboo Information Page - Wesley D. Jordan Biography.

"The result was just what Duckie Corkran (2nd owner of Orvis) and Wes (Jordan) had wanted. A better fly rod was born. For his rigorous research and inventive experiments, Wes Jordan had Patent Application No. 2,532,814, Serial No. 662,086, dated April 13, 1946, named after him. The patent itself, dated December 15, 1950, was assigned to the Orvis Company. By 1954 Orvis rods were impregnated."
shotgunfly likes this.
Old 11-28-2012, 09:49 AM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

I'm guessing this was a nothing special rod. I looked through all the taper archives I couldn't find it which leads me to believe its not a sought after rod. But if it goes at a reasonable price go for it, swing wets and streamers and have fun with it.
shotgunfly likes this.
Old 11-28-2012, 08:47 PM

shotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to all

Did I mention, I love this forum.
I hope I gain half the knowledge you all have and am able to pass it on.
I did get a friend started in fly fishing (and tying).
He's got the loaner, he's visiting fly shops, reading books, we're fishing on Sunday (again).

And, I'm certain he is or will soon be a forum member!

Thanks for the info gang!

Best,
Cardo
itchmesir likes this.

-- John Gierach

blog: http://www.thefinfeatherandfur.com
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thefinfeatherandfur
My TU:
http://massanuttentu.com
Old 11-29-2012, 07:31 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

In the ten minuets I spent "researching" the history of impregnation (of cane) to answer your question, I learned a lot especially about the biographical background of famed Orvis designer, Wes Jordan. I had no idea about his decade-long stint with South Bend mass building 83 cent rods! The Orvis supplied link is a worthwhile read for anyone interested in the history of fly rods.
Old 11-29-2012, 12:17 PM

mysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to behold

Here is a link to an online database of Orvis bamboo rods which someone has constructed....the one you are pursuing is listed in it.

http://home.myfairpoint.net/and96jac...iles/orvis.htm

I too have been researching Bamboo rods (& makers) for a while and recently picked up a Goodwin Granger 8642 (8'6") for much lower price than the Orvis you have listed. The Granger sings in my hand with a DT5 line and I love the versatility of the taper. The tip is incredibly supple for short casts while the butt has enough grunt to cast 30-55 ft. Beyond that range I don't really care because, I only casting for show instead of effectively fishing.
shotgunfly likes this.

Last edited by mysticm; 11-29-2012 at 12:48 PM.
Old 12-14-2012, 09:27 PM

db cooper has a spectacular aura aboutdb cooper has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetandsalt View Post
I was not aware that "impregnated" (bamboo pressure infused with plastic resin for low maintenance) existed in 1948. I would check this out with Orvis FF cust. service... Also the Manchester is the traditional low end of Orvis cane and tend toward tip heavy clunkieness. Having started with cane and still having a few decent cane rods, they may not posses the romantic appeal to me that they might to a younger, graphite era angler but there was a wonderful angling community embracing the work of the master builders like Garrison, Gillum, Payne, et al. And possibly the best cane rods ever are being built today with vastly improved adhesives and hollow-built technique by makers like Per Brandon...his 8'3"/#4 is over the top divine and takes years and substantial disposable income to acquire.

What I take from those golden days is the old fashioned respect for rod designers as opposed to brands thus making a distinction between a Gary Loomis, G.Loomis and a Steve Rajeff, G.Loomis or a Don Green, Sage compared to a Jerry Siem, Sage. I also admire Howard Croston at Hardy and Jim Bartchi at Scott. I find it hard to wrap my hand around the grip of a rod whose brand name lacks a rod designer of note behind it. That does not mean that some "designed by committee" rod automatically cast poorly; in this computer aided age it is not that hard to design a taper that works well but, as in the great cane of yesteryear, todays' elite graphite rod designers imbue their best efforts with distinct personality.
While i generally agree i can offer one example where this may not be true. Winston. Winston lost Sam Druckman not long after the infamous shakeup with Glen Bracket. Druckman was a very good designer and one of the better names in the buisiness. Since his leaving however, Winston is making what are in my opinion their best rods to date. I honestly think with very few exceptions that the BIIIX is FAR superior to the BIIX and i also think the BIIISX is much better than the BIIMX. This is not to diminish Sam Druckmans work, just to say that a company can and sometimes does move forward after loosing a big name designer. Now the case may just be that their current designer whomever that may be is the next big name we will all know...i really dont know. What i do know is that Winston rods today are their best effort yet imho.