The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2012, 02:58 PM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future
Default Re: Pike rod - TFO?

Diver Dan, You have awakened us to Flying Pig, I too am intrigued. However, as I observed in the thread on Orvis cane, I believe rod designer not brand is a decisive rod performance factor and, as your last experience with Sage was a decade ago, I encourage you to revisit some of Jerry Siems newer work. True, Xi3 presumably are to be replaced at some point in the not distant future with a series built around their new Konnetic technology, but they are still really nice rods as are the super-fast TCX models.
Old 11-28-2012, 06:37 PM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

Chip, I too am a TCR/X fan and I can encourage Dan to cast one because he is highly experinced. But by Sage's own addmission it is not a rod series for everyone and I am loath to reccomend it to less than accomplished anglers. Even then, they are specialty sight fishing instruments.
Old 11-28-2012, 08:42 PM

ted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to behold

Nobody is mentioning the Beulah Blue Water Series rods I've noticed. Anyone else have some experience with them? That's another rod that I absolutely love for slingin' chickens.
Old 11-28-2012, 10:14 PM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold

Redington Predator is another good chicken slinger.. though i'm usually slinging rabbits with mine
Old 11-28-2012, 10:35 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetandsalt View Post
Diver Dan, You have awakened us to Flying Pig, I too am intrigued. However, as I observed in the thread on Orvis cane, I believe rod designer not brand is a decisive rod performance factor and, as your last experience with Sage was a decade ago, I encourage you to revisit some of Jerry Siems newer work. True, Xi3 presumably are to be replaced at some point in the not distant future with a series built around their new Konnetic technology, but they are still really nice rods as are the super-fast TCX models.
It was actually a bit more than a decade and in modern fly rods that is a lifetime I will admit. Oh and to top it off, I don't think those rods were anywhere near new either. So who knows, I could be judging them on rods in the two decade old area. It really soured me on them though. If I ever run across someone that has one up here or where I go, I will give them another chance. The odds of running into someone up here is right about on the same odds as finding Jimmy Hoffa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by itchmesir View Post
Redington Predator is another good chicken slinger.. though i'm usually slinging rabbits with mine
I'm a big fan of the rabbit as well. Here is Reynold's Pike fly done the way I tie them. The tail is longer than it looks here. I did a bad job with the photo and have a bit of the tail behind the vice.
Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by Guest1; 11-28-2012 at 11:39 PM. Reason: add sumpthin
Old 11-28-2012, 11:05 PM

ted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to behold

You get me out on Rainy to chase some monster 'Eyes, Dan, and I'll make sure you get your hands on a newer Sage rod. Deal?
Guest1 likes this.
Old 11-29-2012, 12:41 AM
Banned

Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ted4887 View Post
You get me out on Rainy to chase some monster 'Eyes, Dan, and I'll make sure you get your hands on a newer Sage rod. Deal?
Done and done!
Old 11-29-2012, 02:48 AM

domel has a spectacular aura aboutdomel has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by delopez View Post
If you check out flyingpigflyrods.com, they have a very aggresive tapered 8wt. These rods are hand-build and the blanks are designed by a member of this forum, pegboy1. Everything from the guides to the deep, dark blank is unique. Its a wonderful casting for and it's price tage is around the $200 marker. They are worth it. I'm going after pike and musky with mine. Seriously, check it out. I put a 400grain WF10 Ambush line on the seven weight (accidently sent to me) and it handled it with ease. It didn't feel like it was over-loaded. So, these rods are meant for some serious business. This is my two sense. Another person to ask would be Diver Dan. He also has an 8wt.
Hi
Interesting info. Which model of Flyingpig do you use for pikes? I found only one serie on their www site.
BR
Tom
Old 11-29-2012, 03:08 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by domel View Post
Hi
Interesting info. Which model of Flyingpig do you use for pikes? BR
Tom
I got the 9' 8wy liqued series rod. It would be plenty good for Pike. It would feel better for a caster that might not be a more accomplished caster if you onverline it a weight. Just because it is so darned fast and the recovery is something to see. Someone posted a video of some guy casting a rod with about twice the number of guides I put on a rod and it had all kids of counterflex/wave stuff going on. You don't get a bit of that with this rod. I've got a couple of lines I can't wait to try on this rod. One is a saltwater line but that will be about June before its warm enough here for it to stopp looking like a badly made slinky. I also have a MED coming. That Barrio GT125 I have on it is a seriously fun line to cast on it but it would be nice to try a couple of others. I think if you put something like a SA Mastery Pike taper in a 9 on it you could put a pretty big fly all the way to the end of the line without a lot of difficulty. Unfortunately I didn't get the rod till we turned into a freeze box. It has been even colder than they keep prediction. It was supposed to get down to 13 and right now it's 7. Usually it's even worse. I can tell it's going to be a seriously cold winter. It's already in that pattern.
Old 11-29-2012, 07:09 AM

delopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the rough

To tap into that, I'm still waiting for my 8wt lines to arrive. I've ordered a rio pike taper 8wt and a full lake sinking line. Just for thought though, I put a 7/8 rio switch line on the the 7wt flying pig rod that accidently got sent to me. The head weight is somewhere around 500 grains at around 55 foot. It was just begining to load the rod with the head out. I could do a single hall and launch it 80ft. Quite fun to do... 500 grains is a little over-powering. I would stick within the 280 - 400 grain range. I have divers and long tarpon flies that I'm going to use for pike. I have no doubt that the liquid 8wt will turn them over.