The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2012, 06:21 AM

domel has a spectacular aura aboutdomel has a spectacular aura about
Default Pike rod - TFO?

Hi
I am Sage fanatic, but... I was looking for pike rod#9 9'. That was my choice. I purchased Sage Xi3, but unfortunately I got rod which was broken - I suppose man, who sold me rod, knew about it, hoping I will send it to Sage to repair. I returned him rod and started to look for new rod. Searching in the Internet I found a lot of good words about Temple Fork rods. What I like is their price, much cheaper than Sage and a lot of people say that they're very good. I think about TFO BVK and TiCrX. Can you tell me anything about these rods? Which to choose for pike flyfishing?
Can you recommend any? Or maybe you suggest any other rod?
BR
Tom
Old 11-28-2012, 07:33 AM

db cooper has a spectacular aura aboutdb cooper has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Pike rod - TFO?

I have that rod in a 8 wt. Its very very stiff and almost clubby in close. Once you have some line in the air it gets better though. If your in that $200 price range i think you would be much better served by a BVK or a Mystic Reaper. Both rods are much nicer imho. If money is no object i would look towards a Hardy Proaxis or Winston BIIISX. I just test cast several line weights and they are very impressive rods.
Old 11-28-2012, 07:39 AM

domel has a spectacular aura aboutdomel has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by db cooper View Post
I have that rod in a 8 wt. Its very very stiff and almost clubby in close. Once you have some line in the air it gets better though.
Hi
Maybe it should be overweighted by line? Would #8 rod work better with #9line?
Old 11-28-2012, 08:18 AM

delopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the rough

If you check out flyingpigflyrods.com, they have a very aggresive tapered 8wt. These rods are hand-build and the blanks are designed by a member of this forum, pegboy1. Everything from the guides to the deep, dark blank is unique. Its a wonderful casting for and it's price tage is around the $200 marker. They are worth it. I'm going after pike and musky with mine. Seriously, check it out. I put a 400grain WF10 Ambush line on the seven weight (accidently sent to me) and it handled it with ease. It didn't feel like it was over-loaded. So, these rods are meant for some serious business. This is my two sense. Another person to ask would be Diver Dan. He also has an 8wt.
Guest1 likes this.
Old 11-28-2012, 09:44 AM

ted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to behold

I own a few TFO BVK's and couldn't be happier with them. They are fast action powerhouses. One of the best rods in that price range, IMO. I don't know anything about the TICrX rods thoughs.

One thing I will comment on in regards to TFO is that they customer service and warranty is fantastic. Send it in with a check for $25, and within a week you'll have a fixed rod on your doorstep. Can't hardly beat that!
Old 11-28-2012, 11:16 AM

db cooper has a spectacular aura aboutdb cooper has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by domel View Post
Hi
Maybe it should be overweighted by line? Would #8 rod work better with #9line?
The TiCrX is designed to be a very fast action saltwater stick where 70' + casts are required. In this sense it does a good job and does not need to be overlined.

For a standard duty rod however i probably would look at the BVK or Mystic in that price range as i previously stated
Old 11-28-2012, 12:37 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

TFO BVK great rod for the money! Used my 9wt several weeks ago to land multiple salmon up to 30 lbs and a bunch of chromers. Very happy with all aspects of the rod not to mention the warranty!
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 11-28-2012, 12:59 PM

chased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to behold

I have a TiCr X in the 9wt and it will throw the whole fly line with half a chicken attached if called upon. I use it for throwing big flies to pike and wiper. At the ~$200 price point, you can't go wrong with a TFO. Their $25 no questions asked warranty is one of the best in the business.

-Chase
Old 11-28-2012, 01:48 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

I use a Winston BIIX 10 wt. for Pike. But as DLopez said the Flying Pig rods would be perfect fo Pike fishing. In fact because they are such a fast rod with really quick recovery, you might like them even more for something like Pike where you have a heavy fly and a short head line. They cost so much less than a Sage you could get two and still be money ahead. I may have mentioned it (Several times) that in the past I cast a few Sage rods. I did not like the way they looked and was not that impressed with the way they cast either. It's been about 12 years since I cast a Sage, so they may be better now, but compared the the Sage rods I did cast and Flying Pig rods, I'd take the Flying Pig rod any day.
Old 11-28-2012, 02:24 PM

delopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the rough

Just fyi, I just got rid of a TFO 10wt. It was a good rod. But, it doesn't have near the craftsmanship of the Flying Pig rod. That's the end of my 2-cents on Flying pig.