The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By rockriver
  • 1 Post By fredaevans

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2012, 03:38 PM

new2flyfishen is on a distinguished road
Default Sage Rod on the way

Hello all, this is my first post having only recently discovered your forum. As the name implies, I'm new to fly fishing, having only a couple seasons in the field trying my hand with a fly rod. I'm from the coastal plains of NC, and have mainly fished freshwater creeks, with a recent foray into the mountains for trout. Till now, my rod (Shirley) has been a second hand 5/6 wt, 7.5' Fenwick glass rod that was built for someone named Shirley in the 80's. This rod has been terrific for panfish, and did fine for trout using a 4 wt line. Now I want to go west and try my hand at the bigger trout in "Big Sky" country. I resolved to get a 5 wt rod more suited to the task than my Shirley. Unfortunately there are not many flyshops in my part of the state, so test driving rods before buying is not a viable option. Ultimately, after some research, I settled on a second hand Sage SLT 9' 5wt. I'm hoping it more closely resembles the speed/action of what I'm used to, than the newer high speed rods. Did I make a mistake? Hopefully I'll have the rod by next week and will know how it feels then. All advise welcome.
Old 11-29-2012, 05:04 PM

rockriver is a name known to allrockriver is a name known to allrockriver is a name known to allrockriver is a name known to allrockriver is a name known to allrockriver is a name known to all
Default Re: Sage Rod on the way

I think you'll be happy with your choice.
jaybo41 likes this.
Old 11-29-2012, 07:08 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

First a warm welcome to the Forum. And +1 to the comment above.

Fred
jaybo41 likes this.
Old 11-29-2012, 07:22 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to the forum! I can't help with the SLT, but it sounds like you are getting advice from the others that know that rod.

Larry

Old 11-29-2012, 07:50 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to the forum. The SLT is another of Sage's wonderful rods from years past that many folks including me have re-discovered since extinction. Last year I wound up with a 489-5 and cannot say enough about how wonderful that rod is to fish with. If you like a medium-medium fast action rod, you will really enjoy it. My disclaimer here is that my experience is limited to my 4wt and the 490-4 that Chi has. Loved them both.

Do a Google search on "sage SLT 590-4 reviews" you might find old conversations/info but my guess is you'll find lots of great things said about that rod.
Old 11-29-2012, 09:34 PM

new2flyfishen is on a distinguished road

Thanks everyone for the welcome and replies to my query. I also was hoping to get some advise on the line for this rod. I expect to fish both dries, and nymphs with indicators. Fly lines are a bit expensive to experiment with in trying to find the right fit.
Old 11-29-2012, 09:37 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

I have two lines that I am fishing with the 489. Rio Gold and Airflo Ridge Supple Tactical are both great matches for that rod. I am fishing dries, small nymphs and even some smaller streamers with it.